Authors: Megan Schulz

In an attempt to bridge the gap between the gay community and the community at large, Sacha Sacket, a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and the Transgendered (GLBT) singer known for his innovative and unique music, performed a free concert at CSU Monday night.

GLBT Allies hosted Sacket's performance, which took place in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom.

"Basically what we as Allies do is kind of act as a bridge from the GLBT community to the larger community," said Carlene Ostedgaard, GLBT Allies secretary and a senior apparel and merchandising major. "Most of us are supporters of GLBT rights. We kind of just work to create a safer, more accepting environment (for gays)."

Ostedgaard said Sacket is from California and his musical sound resembles Howie Day.

Sacket performed 10 songs for the audience, including a cover of Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time" that gathered laughs from the audience.

He also played songs from his two albums, including his newest album "Shadowed." Audience members could purchase both CDs after the show.

Amy Marzulla, a freshman human development and family studies major, heard about Sacket on the Web site www.myspace.com.

"I saw he was coming to CSU and decided to see him," Marzulla said. "I just really liked how he played the piano so well and his lyrics were deep and thoughtful. It made sense to life."

Sacket said he plays in many venues ranging from full concert halls to coffee shops. He said he tailors his performances to the audience.

When asked if he tries to reach people through his music, he said that he is not focused on being "cool."

"I'm not about being 'Mr. Cool guy.' I'm pretty open and vulnerable." Sacket said. "I wear my heart on my sleeve. I don't think that's done enough."

Brad Harper, a freshman political science major, said he would see Sacket perform again, even though Sacket's music differs from what Harper normally listens to.

"I liked how it was personal but everyone could still relate to it," Harper said. "Everyone could relate to at least one song."