To the editor:

I would like to thank those involved in bringing former Soviet Leader of the General Assembly Mikhail Gorbachev to CSU. His was an intriguing talk. However, the Q&A period run by Associated Students of CSU was a huge disappointment. The questions they asked of Gorbachev were not of the caliber one would expect of an institution involved in higher education. To rob the audience of the opportunity to hear answers to relevant, deep and probing questions that elucidate Gorbachev's views on current and past world affairs was a tragedy. ASCSU should have taken advantage of having the attention of a man with such experience and insight rather than asking questions more fitting of children. I call on ACSCU to justify and overhaul their selection process. In the future, they must select questions that are insightful and not squander the access to such distinguished leaders the Monfort Lecture Series provides the community. Better yet, solicit questions from the attending audience.

Emarit Ranu

Graduate Student

Biomedical Sciences

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is in response to the article in Friday's paper about the topic of same-sex marriage, entitled "Gay marriage talks continue." One of the main problems holding back our nation from granting everyone their freedom to commit to one another is the definition of the word "marriage."

To this, I must emphasize that although we are a nation under God, we are not a nation defined by God, and I firmly believe that we as Americans must remember our country is home to countless beliefs and religions. The separation of church and state is meant to keep the government from imposing beliefs upon society.

By allowing the nation to shun homosexuals and deny them their freedoms in our "free" country because the church has done the same is only taking our nation backwards. Denying people their freedoms is not the path to a brighter future.

Meagan Hoff

Sophomore

Speech communication major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Kudos to Kate Dzintars for her excellent and informative article on living wills and durable medical power of attorneys. As director of Student Legal Services, a free legal service available to all fee-paying CSU students, I would like to clarify a few things.

Most of our clients are traditional students who come to see us for landlord/tenant, traffic, debtor relief, creditor, criminal defense and employment matters. The majority of our clients who seek wills, power of attorneys and living wills are nontraditional students who have families.

However, we welcome students of all ages, for all issues. Please bring your CSU ID to Lory Student Center room 182 to make an appointment to see an attorney.

Kevin Daley, Director

Student Legal Services