Authors: Scott Bondy

Two talented high school softball players have signed National Letters of Intent in anticipation of playing for CSU next year. Anjelica Espinoza, from Chandler, Ariz., and Ashtin Williamson of Loveland will be joining the Rams in the fall.

Espinoza, a shortstop, plays for the top-ranked team in Arizona, Dobson High School. She was a Second-Team All-State selection in 2004 and was an East Valley First-Team All-Region selection. Espinoza is hitting a .488 batting average in 2005. She joins two other Arizona players and club teammates, Kim Klabough and Renee Welty, who both signed with CSU last fall.

"I'm very happy to have Espinoza joining Colorado State," said head coach Mary Yori in a press release. "Anjelica plays on the best team in Arizona and brings a lot of versatility and speed to the Rams' program. She has a strong arm and a very good bat and will fill a huge void left in the infield due to the graduation of seniors Brittany Burtner and Stephanie Roberts."

Williamson is an outfielder who is well-known around the state of Colorado and plays for Loveland High School. Her accomplishments include: 2004 Loveland Daily Reporter-Herald Player of the Year, a 2004 member of the All-State team and All-Colorado team, as well as the 2004 Denver Post Player of the Year. Her most recent award came last month when she was given the title of 2005 Colorado Sportswoman of the Year.

"Ashtin is very fast and hits with both speed and power," Yori said. "She has great speed on the bases, which will really balance the bigger hitters we signed in the fall. She has been named All-World and we're very excited to have her joining the Rams."

The signing period for softball lasts until August 1.