Authors: Natasha Grunden

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity became the first organization at CSU to receive a living-room makeover courtesy of Zoe's "Fraternity in a Fix" program on Friday and Saturday.

Zoe is a part of the CSU student organization Campus Crusade for Christ, which is part of the national religious organization Cru.

"Zoe is an outreach for the Greek community," said Trish Becker, a Zoe member and sophomore psychology major.

The outreach occurs in the form of a one-room home makeover, she said. Another aspect of the program is connecting the Greek system to the spiritual side of life, said Christian Rainbolt, a Zoe staff member who participated in the renovations. The makeover included cleaning, painting, redoing the floor and adding some donated furniture, Becker said.

To enter for the chance at the makeover, participants submitted a video application stating why they deserved the remodel. Becker said Zoe selected the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity to help it with brotherhood and build more community.

Blake Teipel, a Zoe member and junior mechanical engineering major, thought Pi Kappa Alpha had an edge.

"They needed it the most and we felt we could meet their need," Teipel said. "We just want to serve the Greek community."

The renovations will also help give the Pi Kappa Alpha members more pride in their house, Teipel said.

Jason Schneider, a senior accounting major and president of the CSU Pi Kappa Alpha chapter, said the fraternity members heard about Zoe and the "Fraternity in a Fix" makeover through the Interfraternity Council (IFC) and were excited when they won.

"We decided to submit an application because it sounded like a good program, and it was something we've been needing," Schneider said. "We'll have a place to hang out during the day. This is something that will bring the house together."

Apart from the physical changes in the house, there are also psychological ones.

The members of the fraternity will have more confidence in their house, said Cheryl Seele, a Zoe member and senior English major.

Zoe is making a lot of big changes in the house, Schneider said, and he already feels the morale is higher. He also said having nicer facilities might bring in more pledges.

"You can see the excitement in people in the house. This changes the level of brotherhood and unity, now that we have a nice common area," Schneider said.

The chance for generosity and reaching out to the community were also aspects of renovating the house.

"This gives us an opportunity to show the heart of Zoe, the heart to bring community to a group to help them understand about living for something else," Teipel said. "This has been the best outreach I've been involved with this year."

Before the makeover was completed, Teipel said the renovations had already been extremely successful and it was fun to see the transformation of the living room.

"You hear about philanthropic events," Schneider said. "But to be a part of one is an overwhelming experience."