Authors: Nicole Morgan

Workshop one: "Local Sourcing and crafting of wood and stone is scheduled for June 20. It is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The price is $130. The land fee includes breakfast, lunch and transportation to the site from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Workshop 2: "A crafts-based approach to assessment and stabilization of historic wood structures" is on June 21 to June 24. The price for the workshop is $520. It includes a T-shirt, breakfast, lunch and transportation to the site. The time is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.

*If you register by April15, there will be a 15 percent discount. The prices with the discount are $110 for the first and the second workshop is $442.The total for both workshops together is $552.

For more information go to the Architecture Preservation Institute's website. (www.api.colostate.edu/workshops.htm)

Two workshops are being offered this summer to give students and community members a chance to see what it is like to become a builder.

The workshops are geared toward contractors, building designers, architects and culture resource managers.

The two workshops scheduled are "Stepping into the boots of the builder: Local sourcing and crafting of wood and stone" and "A crafts-based approach to assessment and stabilization of historic wood structures." The first workshop is scheduled on June 20 and the second is from June 21 to 24.

The workshops are presented by the Department of Construction Management and through the department's Architecture Preservation Institute.

"These workshops are a hands-on experience. This is the most hands-on workshop we've put on," said Susan Quinnell, associative director for the Architectural Preservation Institute.

The first workshop will provide information on general crafting of wood, stone and sourcing. There will be an emphasis on the art and science of log making in relation to Colorado.

"It (local sourcing workshop) sounds cool. But, I know a lot students won't be up here this summer. It also seems directed toward juniors and seniors," said Paul Jonez, a junior construction management major.

Quinnell said the workshops are beneficial to all students. Long pants, long-sleeve shirts and work boots are required for the workshops. Quinnell also recommends receiving a tetanus booster before the workshops.

"With an emphasis in restoration, the workshop will be beneficial," said Adam Lucero, a senior construction management major.

The second workshop will teach techniques on how to examine the condition of wood and logs using tools and history. During the second workshop, there is an opportunity to examine the stabilization at the Bingham Homestead barn in Fort Collins, near Belleview.

The barn was built in the 1880s. It is a three-bay-bank barn, which is three sections divided by supports. There are two stories built in the bank. The goal for the workshop is to give the barn stabilization.

"These workshops are for anyone who is hard-core into buildings," Quinnell said.

The last day to register for both workshops is June16.