Authors: Amanda Havekost

The CSU track and field teams divided and conquered the competition in Boulder and in Berkeley, Calif., this weekend.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach competed and held her own against a former Olympian in California Saturday, all while breaking her own CSU record in a competition that included collegiate and professional athletes. DeLoach's jump guaranteed a first-place finish among collegiates and second behind Grace Upshaw, a former Olympian.

DeLoach's leap marks the third best in Mountain West Conference history and the top jump in the conference for three years.

DeLoach finished second in the 100 meters as well.

During the first day of competition in the Brutus Hamiliton Invitational at California-Berkeley, two track and field team members took first place in their events.

Sophomore Rob Watson and senior Crystal Clark were champions in their events Friday, with Watson placing first and NCAA regionally qualifying in the steeplechase and Clark finishing first in the 5000.

Senior thrower Loree Smith and junior Katie Hansen placed second in their events and had the top-collegiate throw in each of their respective events. Smith competed in the hammer throw and Hansen competed in the discus.

Senior Adam Trainor had another successful meet. Trainor finished fourth overall and second against collegiate competitors in the hammer throw.

CSU made a mark this weekend the Colorado Invitational in Boulder as well.

For the second week in a row freshman Alex Godell was the top collegiate in the discus.

Junior Mike Horton was the No. 1 collegiate in the 100 hurdles and freshmen Rachelle Mims placed second in the 100 hurdles for the women.

STAR OF THE MEET: Sophomore jumper Janay DeLoach

Record breaking weekend and finished second

in the 100 meters at the University of California