Authors: Caroline Welch

Community service and tradition come together in a weeklong competition that started Saturday.

More than 400 Greeks turned out for CSUnity to kick off Greek Week, said Katie Birkel, vice president of public relations for the Panhellenic Council.

"Greeks have mostly resident projects, so we get to meet the people we help and have a more personal experience," Birkel said.

Themed "All for One and One for All," the week is a time for CSU's Greek community to come together to show unity and spirit, said junior health and exercise science major and a Greek Week chair, Carlie Brown.

"The goal is to bring together the Greek Community, not only to have fun but also to get involved with the community," Brown said. "It is a unity event."

Fraternities and sororities are teamed up to compete against other Greek teams, but the emphasis is on community service, with CSUnity and the blood drive (taking place today on University Avenue, depending on weather conditions) worth the most points, said a Greek Week chair, Jeremy Parks, a junior restaurant and resort management major

"We have done a good job with community service," Parks said. "But it hasn't always been the focus. We are trying to get back to focusing on community service."

Throughout the week, members will raise money to support "Up 'Til Dawn," an event supporting Saint Jude's Hospital, a cancer research facility that provides free care to children with cancer.

Other events range from new to traditional and from a lip sync competition to a food frenzy and trivia.

"We still have to make it fun," Parks said. "(The food frenzy) is purely entertainment. We want to get people excited about Greek Life."

Survivor-style trivia will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Lory Student Center. If a group misses a question, it has to kick someone out.

But Greek Week is not just for Greeks. John Spence, a motivational speaker, will talk about goals and leadership tonight at 7 p.m. in the student center theatre as part of the educational scholastic program, Brown said. The event is open to the community, as is today's blood drive.

Those participating in Greek Week hope the healthy competition and community involvement will show the positives of Greek Life and even bring in a few more members.

"It is partially recruitment," Parks said. "We are showing that Greeks do good things for the community and campus."

Brown is excited about this week's events.

"Since recent events, Greek Life has only gotten stronger," Brown said. "I am amazed by how much people want to come together (for Greek Week). The Greek community really enjoys one another."