To the editor:

Stephanie Gibbs feels "completely disrespected and taken advantage of as a college student at CSU," having been cited for underage drinking while in a RamRide vehicle. Friday's Collegian reported that Gibbs was offended that the Fort Collins police officer who issued the ticket did not seem to be aware of the RamRide program.

While I support safe-ride programs wholeheartedly, I'm dismayed to learn that an adult, though underage, person fails to or cares not to understand the basics of such programs. It's this simple: Using a safe-ride program does not indemnify a rider against other liquor laws. Just as participating in a drug treatment program does not grant a person immunity from existing drug laws, being underage and in possession of alcohol or under the influence of alcohol remains a crime, regardless of how that juvenile chooses to get home after drinking.

I agree with Gibbs that all law-enforcement personnel should be made aware of safe-ride programs in their areas and cooperate with them to reduce the number of impaired drivers on the roads, but those using safe-ride programs should be aware that a physically safe ride is not the same thing as a "free ride" with the law.

If, as they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse, we can extend that to reason that drunkenness is no excuse for ignorance.

Dennis Morrigan McDonough

Fort Collins Resident

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Recently I, with many other Americans, have watched as the battle rages on over Terri Schiavo, who was dependent on a feeding tube for survival. Should the tube have stayed or not?

But why does nobody care about the hundreds of millions of people around the world, and the estimated 31 million people in the United States alone, who are dying of treatable diseases because they just don't have enough money? They have no choice between life and death, and society has turned its eyes away and forsaken those who need help the most. Why does nobody fight for them? No religious groups demand that the U.S. government care for them, no laws are being considered to make sure everyone has health care, yet so much of our nation's energy, our tax dollars, has gone to this one lady.

Terri Schiavo may have wanted to live, but even the poorest of people want to live, and they don't have a choice. According to the book "Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism," by Richard H. Robbins, today there are anywhere from 800 to more than a billion people in the world who go hungry because the money they make is insufficient to buy food; they have none given to them, they become sick, they die, and the world continues on. It is not fair to force life on those who can afford it while overlooking the lives of those who can't.

Meagan Hoff

Sophomore

Speech Communication major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

We are writing this letter to the editor in response to the article "Elections face little competition" in the March 22 Collegian. We were appalled at some of the things that were mentioned in the article. We are not as upset by the article as we are at current Associated Students of CSU Vice President Ben Goldstein. He mentions "joke" campaigns. This sounds awfully elitist to me. Is he insinuating that only people who are currently involved in student government should run for Associate Students of CSU president?

Last year, when there were one or two sets of candidates that were a "joke," you had the highest voter turnout in the past five years. Also, the people who vote for the "joke" tickets are people who traditionally don't vote in the ASCSU elections. So, Goldstein, do the "joke" candidates scare you? Are you and your ASCSU student government club afraid that someone new might come in and make some actual change that the students would actually notice?

Here are some of the most obvious reasons why no one runs for ASCSU seats. First, ASCSU sets ridiculous spending limits on campaigns. To spend $2,000 on a campaign is a ridiculous sum of money for a college student to come up with. Second, ASCSU doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the general student body; in fact, we would bet that less than half of the students even know who the student body president is. Third, the timing is horrible; we think that ASCSU does this on purpose – let's set the deadline for entering the race directly before Spring Break.

The current timing makes it difficult for "non-ASCSU" people to run for office. This is a time when students have midterms and are making plans to jettison Fort Collins, not planning on running for ASCSU president the following week.

This is signed by a few of the people who ran "joke" campaigns in the past and realized that the real "joke" is ASCSU as a whole.

Brittany Burke

Senior Technical Journalism

Mike Bystrom

Senior Technical Journalism

Aaron Harris

Alumni

Mike Hoff

Alumni

Kristen Schowe

Senior Technical Journalism

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

SAFER Choice is right on! Alcohol is a terrible choice for a recreational drug.

Evidence mounts that our drug laws are devised on corporate profit rather than the well-being of the individual. Friends who use marijuana medicinally are able to function more normally than when on prescription drugs.

The U.S. "Justice" System reeks of injustice: racism, hypocrisy and corruption. Most recent court violence is clearly related to our inequitable laws. Our drug policies create the black market. This creates an atmosphere in which we must be afraid to send our children to a corner store, to ever leave them unsupervised.

It's estimated that more than 100 million Americans have used some illegal drug. A more sensible solution: Educate our young, treat our addicts and respect the rights of adults to choose their own recreational or medicinal intoxicant. It would free law enforcement to better protect us from violence and fraud, plus create more room in prison for those selling drugs to children. Presently there is a pervasive disrespect for the law that could even improve!

B. Colleen Minter

Community Member