Authors: Amanda Havekost

CSU track and field took home 19 first-place finishes this weekend from the University of Northern Colorado's Tom Benich Classic in Greeley.

Senior Katrice Thomas, who placed first in two events, led the Rams. Thomas beat out the competition in the 100 meters and the 200.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach took a first-place finish along with a regional qualifying long jump. DeLoach said she was happy with her performance.

"I had competition within myself," DeLoach said. "I was going out against myself."

DeLoach also placed second in the 100 and junior Becky Hammitt placed first in the 400.

Two freshmen women placed first this weekend. Rachelle Mims placed first the 100 hurdles and Linnea Pudwill clocked the best time in the 5000.

Sophomore Rheannon Backes took first in the high jump and regionally qualified.

"I knew I could do it," Backes said. "My hard work paid off."

Junior Amanda Huddleston qualified for regionals, broke her own record and took first in the triple jump. Huddleston is the only female in CSU history to break the 40-foot barrier.

CSU women swept the top two spots in the discus and first through third in the hammer throw. Junior Katie Hansen placed first and regionally qualified in the discus and junior Jill McCormick took second. Junior Jaimee Troth won the hammer throw, McCormick placed second and junior Kristina Glawe claimed third.

Three CSU men regionally qualified for the NCAA Championship this weekend. Senior Adam Trainor, sophomore Trey Eder and senior Mike Nicks all posted marks to earn spots at regionals.

Trainor posted a career-best toss in the hammer throw. Eder had the top collegiate mark and second overall in the shot put. Nicks finished first in the 1500 with a time of 3:49.15.

Four men dominated their events in Greeley. Junior Paul Michel came in first in the 800, sophomore Rob Watson won the steeplechase, freshman Charles Johnson tied for first place in the pole vault and junior Mike Horton claimed a win in the 110 hurdles.

On Friday, at the Kim Schiemenz meet in Greeley, CSU sophomore Katie Lloyd won the heptathlon, scoring 5,043 points. She recorded a 19- 1/2 leap in the long jump, threw the javelin 102-8 and ran the 800 in 2:30.6. Senior Cristina Gourdin and freshman Emily Pearson took second and third, respectively.

The team will spend this week practicing for two meets on Saturday. The Rams will divide up, with some players going to the Brutus Hamilton Invitational hosted by the University of Colorado and the others competing in the Colorado Invitational in Boulder.

STAR OF THE MEET: Senior Katrice Thomas placed first in the 100 and 200.