To the Editor:

Thursday's articles on the "legacy of Cesar Chavez" ignore an important part of his legacy, namely his active opposition to illegal immigration.

Chavez often organized pickets of the Immigration and Naturalization Service to demand stricter enforcement of immigration laws. Columnist Ruben Navarette, Jr., called him "as effective a surrogate for the INS as ever existed. Indeed, Chavez and the United Farm Workers Union he headed routinely reported, to the INS, for deportation, suspected illegal immigrants who served as strikebreakers or refused to unionize."

Philip Martin, the author of "Promise Unfulfilled: Unions, Immigration, and Farm Workers" notes that the UFW "posted 'wet patrols' on the U.S.-Mexico border to prevent unauthorized Mexicans from replacing strikers. The UFW was only partially successful: Chavez complained that 'employers go to Mexico and have unlimited, unrestricted use of illegal alien strikebreakers to break the strike.'"

Chavez was entirely correct – illegal immigration undermines unions and lowers wages. My recent book, "The Impact of Immigration on African Americans," summarizes the evidence that confirms this common-sense proposition.

In our enthusiasm for multicultural homilies, let us not distort the historical record. The legacy of Cesar Chavez is primarily about the labor movement, not ethnic identity. If we are to emulate Cesar Chavez, as our local purveyors of identity politics encourage us to do, then we should oppose amnesties for illegal immigrants and demand stricter enforcement of immigration laws in order to protect American workers.

Steven Shulman

Professor of Economics

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I believe the SAFER Choice organization is moving in the wrong direction with its campaign. The executive director is quoted saying, "Our mission is to educate people in Colorado about the consequences of alcohol (use) by having policies that punish marijuana use; it steers kids towards using alcohol."

If your mission is to educate the people of Colorado about the consequences of alcohol use, then educate them. But please do not drive, coerce or influence people toward using marijuana as a substitute. Especially working toward making marijuana usage more attractive. That is a poor decision.

The problem of alcohol abuse is being covered up. It's necessary to solve the problem of alcohol abuse first. That is SAFER Choice's job. One of the problems is how easy it is to obtain alcohol if you are an underage drinker.

It would be wiser to raise the penalties of underage drinking to equal those of the use or possession of marijuana. Though alcoholism is a gigantic problem in itself, the use of marijuana is a gateway to drugs and problems that in comparison dwarf those of alcoholism.

People ("kids") are not weighing the consequences of alcohol compared to the consequences of marijuana use in deciding which substance to abuse. Drinking is more popular, it's cheaper and it's easier to obtain. There are more effective ways out there to deter the use of alcohol, but the solution to the problem does not lie within reducing university marijuana penalties.

Ryan Walker

Community member

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Thursday's opinion piece by Jesse McLain, I am deeply disturbed by your interpretation of ASCSU. I ask you, have you ever been into the ASCSU office? Do you know ANYBODY in the organization? If the answer to these questions is NO, then I'd advise you to talk to us sometime and find out how hard our jobs really are. ASCSU is made up entirely of dedicated students who work solely for the students, namely YOU. If you feel that there is no one redeeming quality in the organization then it is up to YOU to change it. That is why we hold elections each year. As far as criticizing the two presidential/vice presidential tickets; all I can say to you is RUN for a position. Put yourself in their shoes and then tell me that what you want is not good enough. Each campaign has worked very hard on their platform, and while it seems like they are full of empty promises they each have a vision for CSU.

I would love it if you stopped by each "sign" on the plaza and actually got informed about the election. Or better yet, since you believe we have no redeeming qualities, give us an idea of what you want to change and how we can better serve you as a student. After all, even though all you have are complaints, serving YOU is what we're here for.

Shelby Wood

Sophomore, current ASCSU Senator, College of Liberal Arts

Running for re-election