Eagles look to sweep series

Authors: Chris Gerken

It's a situation no hockey team wants to be in; down three games to none, with a chance to be swept and the end of the season is in sight.

The Tulsa Oilers are in that very predicament, after losing game three to the Colorado Eagles 4-3 in overtime Wednesday night. With a win tonight, Colorado can make amends for their disappointing playoff performance last season and move on to the Northern Conference Finals.

Tulsa had a strong performance in game three, putting up 50 shots on goalie Tyler Weiman and tying the game near the end. But the Eagles responded shorthanded in overtime with a Kevin Marsh goal off of a puck mishandled by Bill Ruggiero to seal the deal and put the Oilers in a very precarious position.

Tulsa faces the enormous task of coming back from a 3-0 deficit, something that has never been accomplished in CHL history. A win for Colorado would give the team its first playoff sweep and first playoff series win in franchise history. The Eagles carry the momentum into game four, getting a boost from Marsh's overtime winner and solid play from Weiman.

The winner of this series will face the winner of the Boston-Wichita series, which Wichita leads 2-1. Wichita defeated Colorado last season in the Northern Conference semifinals three games to one.

The puck drops today at 6:35 p.m. in Tulsa, Okla., and can be heard on the radio on 99.9 FM. If necessary, game five will take place in Tulsa on Saturday at 6:35 p.m.