Authors: Jon Pilsner

Midway through the first spring practice for the CSU football team, a bit of snow began to flutter about in the air.

Maybe it was just football weather.

It was the welcome the Rams got Wednesday as the team held its first of 15 allowed spring practices. Players were in shoulder pads and helmets and there was very little contact.

Sonny Lubick, entering his 13th season as head coach, said he was pleased with the first day of practice.

"It was a good, cool day," Lubick said. "If we get the same type of enthusiasm out of our players in 10 or 12 (of the practices) that we had today, we'll have a great spring."

Quarterback Justin Holland practiced with the team for the first time since breaking his leg in the middle of last season. He wore a red "no-contact" jersey and had his left ankle heavily taped, but he participated in the entire practice.

"I feel good about it," Holland said. "I didn't get the game experience I wanted (last season), but it's good to be out on the field again."

Running back Jimmy Green, who is listed as first on the spring depth chart, said he felt healthy and didn't have any lingering injuries from last season. He was hampered by an ankle injury for much of the beginning of the year.

"I can't think about that," Green said. "I just have to go out there and keep working at it and focus on playing."

The Rams will practice again today, Saturday and Sunday. Today's practice will be at 3:30 p.m. and Saturday's at noon. Sunday's practice time was yet to be announced.

NOTES: The Green and Gold Game, which ends spring practices, will be held at French Field at Rocky Mountain High School in Fort Collins. There will be a pancake breakfast served to the public by the CSU Spirit Committee free of charge at 9 a.m. The game is tentatively scheduled for 11 a.m. Fans wishing to attend the game will sit on the west side of the stadium.