Chill looks to freeze Fury

Authors: Adam Ebner

It all comes down to one game for the Colorado Chill. Success, accomplishment and revenge hang in the balance for tonight's game against the Dallas Fury.

At 7 p.m. the Budweiser Events Center will be rocking as the two teams vie for the National Women's Basketball League championship. The game matches the talented teams against one another and provides a rematch of last year's NWBL Pro Cup. Last year, Dallas prevailed 73-69 against the Chill in Dallas.

"We wanted Dallas," said Chill all-star guard Katie Cronin. "I hope all of Colorado comes out to see the game."

This time around the rivalry is even stronger. During the regular season, the two teams went after each other like heavyweight fighters in every matchup, including an unforgettable 99-92 overtime Chill victory on Jan. 27. In the game, players from both sides shot the lights out, none of the players more impressive than Dallas guard Anna Deforge's 41-point performance.

Fury star Deforge and her team hope to repeat as league champs. With guard Felicia Ragland, the Fury has arguably the best backcourt in the league.

The Chill is undeniably the deepest team, and are tough to beat at home. The added benefit of home-court advantage tonight is a huge advantage over last year's game in Texas.

CSU faithful everywhere should be proud in knowing Chill guard and former Ram Becky Hammon will lead the team tonight.

Hammon will have her usual support on the court tonight. The Chill need big games from Cronin, center Ruth Reilly and forward Carrie Bacon to extend the two-season-long unbeaten streak to 26 games.

"I'm sure their goal is to ruin our streak," Cronin said. "They always play their best basketball against us."

This one, however, would mean a little more. Both teams could relish in victory. Colorado plays for revenge, while Dallas plays to remain on top of the NWBL. Chill coach Kelly Packard hopes to lead the team to one more victory and bring the franchise its first championship.

"We have to go toe-to-toe," Packard said. "Against Dallas, everyone is on their own; there is no help defense."