Authors: Daniel Hallford

Dancers are jumping out of the walls and leaping through frames at Lloyd's Art Center.

A showcase of paintings and drawings adorns the walls of Lloyds, 216 N. College Ave., an art-supply shop and gallery, providing shoppers with an inside peek at the thrill and beauty of the art of dancing. Works by Sam Thiewes and Paul Febvre of Fort Collins will be shown until Friday.

Febvre and Thiewes have been painting together at a weekly art class at Lloyd's for nine years. This recent project is the result of the two artists collaborating together over the last three years sketching and painting the dancers at Westin Arts Academy, 1611 S. College Ave.

"It's really a demanding exercise," Febvre said. "(The human form) is probably the most difficult thing to draw."

Febvre, who has never taken an art class, loves to draw dancers because of the challenge they pose. Because dancers are constantly in motion, the artist has to think much faster and relay thoughts to paper almost as he or she is seeing them occur.

"Human form is one of the most beautiful things," Febvre said.

He also said trying to convey the feelings and charm of the dancer is his biggest concern.

Thiewes agreed that sketching dancers is an intimate process.

"Mentally, you really get into the personality you're looking at," Thiewes said.

Thiewes said drawing the human form is a test of an artist's ability.

"When you're working on a painting (of a landscape), you don't necessarily have to be accurate," Thiewes said. "But there's no place to hide in portrait drawing. You can either draw what you see or you can't. It's where you see how good of an artist someone is."

Lloyd's has been a staple of the art community for years, and it provides a place for local artists to show their work.

"Lloyd's is probably the oldest art-supply store in Fort Collins," said Tonia Bouska, an employee at Lloyd's, which was opened in 1951. Lloyd's rotates their store's gallery space between approximately 12 local artists and usually has one show per month, beginning a new one to coincide with the monthly Fort Collins Gallery Walk. Lloyd's takes a commission on each piece of art sold, and pieces in Thiewes and Febvre's show range from $40 to $300.

"(The exhibits) go anywhere from very traditional work to very non-objective work. There's always a variety of mediums in each show," Bouska said.

Thiewes' next show, which features his landscape works, begins Friday at Lloyd's. Febvres next show begins on May 1 at Lloyd's. Febvre will have his watercolor landscapes out on display.