To the Editor:

To the editor:

It was too bad Mr. Wittman's bias in political correctness could suffocate us all. The article was making an important point, but it wasn't fair the way he portrayed the Christians who were reading from their Bibles.

They seemed like nice people, calmly reading beautiful excerpts from a powerful book, but this is never the case when people organize supporting views in opposition of the Bible. The excerpts used mostly dealt with suppression and negativity. Quotes from the likes of Leviticus only open up the flow of hate back and forth.

I've seen it many times at gatherings, on campus, and yes, even parades. It is never a debate, only a contest for who can yell the loudest, as seen by the activists surrounding and drowning out the Christians. I feel they all should've be thrown in a paddy wagon together and forced to calmly debate the issue.

Wittman went on to say, "…we find Christians doing nothing harmful to those around them." But it is extremely harmful, maybe not physically, to hear the supposed wrath one will encounter in some kind of afterlife for deciding to live freely. I feel this ethnic intimidation IS taking free speech too far.

The Bible expresses many ways to live a good life, but it also has many parts that communicate hate. I don't want to even think of how shocking it would be to see people reading from the book of Satan outside a church on Easter Sunday. I'm just trying to say that next time Wittman should pick apart both sides of the story.

David Schwier

Senior

Marketing Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

It is unfortunate that a line of thinking as displayed by Matt Hitt is becoming more widely accepted, this following Mr. Hitt's column on Mark McGwire in Tuesday's Collegian. It seems as though the basic principles this country was founded upon are being ignored. Until there is further investigation and evidence, McGwire is in fact innocent! The only thing he has done is not answer a question, which does not make him guilty. We cannot infer his guilt and we cannot ignore such basic rights granted to a person when it becomes convenient. The differences between legitimate suspicion and rampant paranoia were blurred by Hitt, and it seems as though he has made an arrogant and inappropriate decision regarding McGwire's activities. I would hope that in the future people would consider the basic and guaranteed rights each of us has before making such accusations.

Scott Lewis

Senior

Environmental Health Major