Authors: Hallie Woods

Students will attend classes, eat lunch, exercise, and walk around campus in complete silence, refusing to speak on Wednesday. However, these students are not unable to talk, but have taken a vow of silence to participate in Solidarity Day protesting the Global Gag Rule and celebrating abortion rights.

"People taking a pledge not to speak on Wednesday will wear t-shirts and remain in silence in honor of their cause," said Daniel Kessler, director of Public Affairs for Planned Parenthood.

Students will be protesting a rule President Bush passed when he entered office for his first term. According to the Planned Parenthood Web site (www.plannedparenthood.com), the Global Gag Rule states that non-governmental organizations accepting United States population assistance have to agree not to provide abortions. The rule also states that they cannot refer patients to other abortion clinics or lobby for abortion legalization in their countries. Also, these organizations may not participate in any of these activities, even if the events are provided for by their own funds.

Solidarity Day will also include an informal rally on the CSU Lory Student Center Plaza at noon, and a candle light vigil at 9 p.m. All interested students are invited to attend. The activity will include students in support of abortion rights as well as Planned Parenthood employees. Any students who wish to participate may sign up in the student center today from 5 to 7 p.m.