Racing on The Oval

Authors: Nick Piburn

What would have been a peaceful Easter Sunday on the Oval was quickly transformed into cycling madness when the 19th annual Oval Criterium brought racers from all over the region to CSU.

The event, which was hosted by the Rams Cycling Team, kicked off with the men's C race, in which CSU had a strong showing from Ryan Belew, who finished fifth.

Next came the men's B race, which was close until the final sprint when two CSU riders, John Klish and Jason Zook, took advantage of the home course and the home fans, finishing first and second, respectively.

"We wanted to stay back and stay together and let the other racers break the wind," Klish said. "We then wanted to try and work up to the front and finish well; it worked well."

The following race was the women's A and B combined. The A riders had a great showing, with Sarah Germundson finishing second and Sydney Fuller placing fourth.

The women's B race also turned out great for the Rams, who placed three racers in the top five, with Michelle Rickert placing fourth, Lila Hickey second and Jenna Klidel first.

The final race was the men's A. While CSU had several riders place well, none were able to finish in the lead pack, which kept an unbelievable pace throughout. Despite the result of the men's A, the team was happy with the finish and with the tournament overall.

"It's always nice to have a home race," said Nathanael Ksiazkiewicz, a cycling team member. "We've had a great turnout with a lot of great teams."

The cycling team has races every weekend until Nationals in May, with the team traveling to Golden next weekend for a tournament hosted by the Colorado School of Mines.

"We have a really young men's team this year so the older racers are really focusing on developing the young racers," Ksiazkiewicz said. "We had great results from our women. They're a pretty strong team."

Ram Ultimate teams win RMI

The Intramural Fields hosted a mass of club sports Saturday and Sunday, most notably the men's and women's Ultimate Frisbee Rocky Mountain Invitational. The RMI was competitive for both men and women, but dominance was the order of the weekend for the Rams. Both teams won their respective tournaments.

For the men, whose tournament was much larger than the women's, consisting of 13 teams total compared to four on the women's side, winning the RMI is uncharted territory. This was the first time the men have won their own tournament in the RMI's 10-year history.

"Getting to the championship game, and of course winning it, was our common goal coming into the tournament," said team president Zach Taylor after the team won the championship with a win over Wisconsin. "We came out flat (Saturday), but we came together and really played well the rest of the tournament. Big up's to our freshman and rookies. They really played well."

The team was led by senior Nick Petraglia, who was voted tournament MVP by his team immediately following the championship win.

Domination was also what took place in the women's bracket. Like the men, the women thought they started the RMI a little slow, but after coming together for the championship, the team believes it is still getting better.

"Overall we really pulled together as a team," said co-captain Jamie Taylor after the team's 13-2 championship win over Colorado College. "We're constantly improving, and still trying to work out the kinks."

Co-captain Anna McKee thinks playing in tournaments such as the RMI benefits the team.

"Tournament play is very key," McKee said. "You can only work so much in practice, so it helps to play to work on what we need to."

Next up for both the women and men are sectionals in Boulder in two weeks. Then, if they qualify, the teams will move on to regionals in May.