Authors: Joanna Larez

Turn in applications for senate seats

By 5 p.m. today

ASCSU office, Lory Student Center, room 109

Call ASCSU at 491-5931 with any questions

Students have one last chance to submit applications to run for open senate seats in the Associated Students of CSU.

Applications will be accepted in the ASCSU office, room 109 in the Lory Student Center until 5 p.m. today.

The original deadline for applications was March 4, but it was moved to March 11 because not enough students were running for the open seats.

ASCSU's 10-person Elections Committee decided Thursday night to extend the deadline a final time, after student interest surfaced. Students began calling the ASCSU office after an article about low levels of competition for the ballot was published in the Collegian last week.

The committee decision then went to ASCSU's Supreme Court, which was on-call Thursday night for the extension. The justices' ruling to extend the deadline was made official Friday.

"(The extension) gives the student body more opportunities to get involved," said Lisa Dusenberry, chief justice. "It allows the election to have more options and build a stronger ASCSU."

Dusenberry said more options on the ballot will allow the representation of the student body's vote to be more accurate, because students will have more choices instead of having representatives appointed.

Applications will no longer be accepted after today because all the ballot information must be submitted to Ramweb by Tuesday to complete the online ballots for the elections to determine ASCSU's next president, vice-president and senators, said Brian Hardouin, elections manager. Students will be able to vote April 4 through April 6 on Ramweb.

As of Friday afternoon there were 27 certified candidates for open senate seats, and four applications were submitted Friday.

"They haven't been certified, so there is no guarantee they will be on the ballot as of yet," said Nic Redavid, department manager of the Election Committee.

Certification requires the potential candidate to attend an orientation meeting and to meet the ASCSU constitutional requirement of appointment at the first meeting of the newly elected senate, according to ASCSU Referenda and Elections Code, Article VII.