Authors: Nick Piburn

Club Sports this weekend:

Ultimate Frisbee Tournament – Saturday and Sunday all day

Women's Lacrosse Saturday against BYU @ 10 a.m. and Utah @1:30 p.m.

Cycling – Oval Criterium Sunday @ 8 a.m.

With a few major varsity sports ending this month, the school year has reached the point when the spring club sports begin to get serious. One of those club teams is men's ultimate Frisbee.

This year's ultimate team has started its season impressively. At High Tide, an annual Spring Break tournament in Savannah, Ga., the team dominated the competition and won the tournament. The team's record in the tournament was an impressive 11-1, and it rolled over Iowa State in the championship game.

"High Tide was a great tournament for us," said team president Zach Taylor. "We were able to take 19 guys out there. That really helped us to stay fresh."

Immediately after taking the title in Savannah, the men traveled to Statesboro, Ga., for the Southerns Tournament. The exhausted and beat-up team was able to muster a 3-2 record and finish in the top 15.

"I'm feeling really well about where this team can go," Taylor said. "This is the best team we've had since I've been here, and I've been playing here for three years."

The Rams will be hosting the Rocky Mountain Invitational starting Saturday. Sixteen teams will be competing. The games start at 9 a.m. and go throughout the day, with the championship round on Sunday.

The women's ultimate Frisbee team has also started its season strong. In the same tournaments in which the men's team competed – High Tide and Southerns – the women were able to make it to the championship game of High Tide and the quarterfinals of Southerns.

"This team has really improved over the last year," said deep receiver Katy Van Valkenburgh. "We went from winning one game at High Tide last year to making it to the final game this year."

The women will also host the RMI Saturday and Sunday, with its games starting at 10:30 a.m. The women's tournament will host three other teams, Brigham Young, New Mexico and Colorado College, with the teams competing in a round-robin-style bracket. The finals will also be Sunday.

Lacrosse hosts BYU and Utah

The weekend club sports extravaganza continues with the women's lacrosse team (2-1-1).

After taking Spring Break off to relax and recover from injuries, the Rams host two Rocky Mountain Women's Lacrosse League teams in BYU and Utah. Both games will be played Saturday, with the BYU game at 10 a.m. and the Utah game at 1:30 p.m.

"BYU is going to be one of our toughest league games," said team president Jen Gunlikson. "They have a really fast transition game with one or two main shooters we know we need to stop. If we can stop them, and produce offensively, we should win."

Cycling at The Oval

Yet even more Easter Sunday sports continue with the Rams Cycling Team hosting the 19th Annual Oval Criterium race. The day begins with the Men's C Race at 8 a.m., with the Men's B following at 8:40 a.m., the Women's A and B starting at 9:30 a.m., and the Men's A starting at 10:20 a.m. All CSU students are invited to race, and will be allowed to participate after buying a one-day racing license for $5. The U.S. Cycling Federation will then stage various races beginning at 12:20 p.m. and going until 4 p.m. For more information on the Oval Criterium visit ramscycling.com.