To the editor:

It's easy for the facts in cases that receive lots of media coverage to get muddled, especially with the variety of "talking points" that seem to get conveyed through the Internet and other media. Here are some that seem to be getting lost in the Schiavo case.

First, Florida does not recognize common-law marriages, thus it would be problematic to have the Schiavo's marriage annulled on the grounds of bigamy. Second, Mr. Schiavo has been involved with the woman he refers to as his fianc�e since 1997, which is considerably less than 15 years, and seems to make the implications that he started dating her the moment his wife was admitted to the hospital intellectually dishonest. Finally, the whole argument surrounding his current relationship is irrelevant to the actual issue, which is that the courts have clearly showed that Mr. Schiavo, acting as the legal guardian to his wife, has clearly demonstrated that she would not wish to be kept alive artificially.

This is what all of the appeals have been about, and each time they've decided in favor of the original court's ruling. The attempts to get the higher courts to review the case over the last few days have all ended with the courts, up to the Supreme Court decision on Thursday, deciding that there was no basis for reexamining the issues surrounding this case or the original ruling.

Thomas Miller

Senior

History and anthropology major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

We should all thank Terri Schiavo, the Florida woman who has existed in a brain-dead condition for the past 15 years. First, for showing us the importance of making a living will, no matter our age or current state of health. And second, for revealing the inconsistent positions of some of our elected officials, who have chosen to intrude themselves in what is normally a private decision, made every day in nursing homes and hospitals across the country.

Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave is usually a staunch defender of the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. In the Schiavo case, however, she does not believe Terri's husband has a clue about what his wife would have wanted and should have no more say in deciding her fate than other members of her family.

President Bush, no stranger to hypocrisy, praised the Congressional action. This, just weeks after he proposed deep cuts to Medicaid, which if approved by Congress, will doom millions of such Americans to premature deaths.

As Alice said in Wonderland, "Things are getting curiouser and curiouser!"

Susan Ryan

Community member

Microbiology/Medical Technology major in1974

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Ryan Chapman, you rock!

I usually only read the headlines and the comics in the school paper because the rest either annoys me or depresses me. Your headline, "Dear Democrats: Stop trying to kill people" caught my eye and I'm glad I decided to read your column about the Terri Schiavo case and the Democrats' overall support of death.

It takes guts to write anything even mildly conservative in a strongly liberal paper. But you braved to even go beyond the Schiavo case and speak against euthanasia and abortion, addressing them all as exactly what they are: murder.

It is so nice to know there is another conservative out there somewhere on this liberal campus! God bless you, Ryan! It seems too much to ask that you not be given any flack for your bravery, ethics and good heart, but I do hope that you won't let it get to you and that you'll continue bringing intelligent articles to the Collegian. I look forward to reading many more of your columns. Whether they be about conservative issues or not, I'm sure they will be well written and informative!

Thank you so much!

Veronica Brush

Sophomore

Theatre Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I was extremely outraged by Ryan Chapman's Wednesday column, entitled "Dear Democrats: Stop Trying to Kill People."

This article is full of stereotypes and fallacies. To be honest, I am surprised the Collegian chose to run it. Chapman's ridiculous, accusing message is delivered with strong religious undertones that, unfortunately, seem to be so prevalent in our country's government.

When Chapman said that Terri Schiavo can perform "basic bodily functions on her own," he seems to be implying that she can live an independent life. Schiavo's body can only carry out involuntary functions, like breathing and defecating. She does not need "help" eating – she needs to be fed!

Chapman stated that Schiavo does not "want to starve to death." When a person is in a vegetative state, it is most often the frontal lobe of the brain that is affected. Frontal lobe functions include higher brain activities like emotion and the ability to "want." There is no true way to find out exactly what Schiavo wants at this point as she has been in this vegetative state for 15 years.

Chapman also says that Colorado Congresswoman Diana DeGette makes a fool of herself in public over the matter of removing Schiavo's feeding tube. Is he no better than DeGette when he generalizes that "Democrats like to kill people…" Speaking of which, has the typically Republican taste for blood in the Middle East been quenched yet? Even though the death toll overseas may be over half a million, hey – at least they aren't "American babies and senior citizens," right? Ahhhh!

Ann Stecker

Sophomore technical journalism

with help from Garrett Sheeran, Linsey Cornish and Rich Page