To the editor:

Ms. Succo raises an interesting point regarding Terri Schiavo in her letter to the editor- that she did not have a living will. How many of us at CSU have thought through to make up a living will at our ages? Probably not many.

What makes it hard to respect Mr. Schiavo is that he has "gotten on with his life." As Mr. Miller is mistaken, Mr. Schiavo has not been fighting for his wife's wishes for 15 years, but instead, he has been living with another woman in the meantime. In most states bigamy is against the law. So why then was the Schiavo's marriage not annulled by Florida state law, as Mr. Schiavo has a common-law wife?

Terri Schiavo has been injured by her husband's common-law situation. Wouldn't it make sense to recognize Terri's parents as the most qualified to exercise legal guardianship over their daughter?

Andrea Matich

Senior

Business Marketing Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Pease remove Ryan Chapman from your list of contributing columnists. Though he writes opinion pieces, he still must be held to a standard of journalistic integrity that he grossly missed in his column, "Dear democrats: Stop trying to kill people." Regardless of position on the Terry Schiavo case, Chapman's writing is immature and unintelligent partisan garbage.

Firstly, he states, "The Democrat's response has always been the same:

'Let her husband kill her. Who cares?'" Please note the quotation marks around the Democrats response. I personally would like the name of the Democrat who said this, if one does indeed exist. This is an invention of a quote. It's also called "libel" in the print media world.

More egregiously, Chapman makes this ridiculous blanket statement, "We all knew that Democrats liked to kill people with their support of abortion and euthanasia."

These are complicated issues, and for Chapman to claim that Democrats like to kill people completely ignores any intricacies that might exist. This harmful lie can be classified as "slander," another journalism word the Collegian Editorial Board should be aware of.

Republicans and Democrats alike have arguments that are worth listening to. Ryan Chapman's is not one of these. Please publish a conservative who has researched issues and can respect the fundamental ideals of journalistic integrity and thoughtful debate.

Will Byrne

Junior

English and Music major