Authors: Amy Hochevar

Ever gotten a bad vibe from someone after just meeting him or her? Or feel something strange after walking into a room? These are all signs of energy fields that surround the body and the energy centers that control the energy flow from the energy field to the physical body.

Healing Touch is a biofield therapy that is an energy-based approach to health and healing. There are six different levels one must go through before being certified as an energy healer. Levels one and two involve learning the techniques and how to apply them; the third – looking at people on the energetic level; the fourth – an apprenticeship, and the fifth and sixth are the instructor levels.

Sara Tutt, a licensed physical therapist at Hartshorn Health Services is in the third level now (looking at people on the energetic level).

"I'm looking at people on the energetic level," Tutt said. She is learning how to come together with her clients to facilitate their health and healing.

Tutt said that energy healing helps with headaches, back pains and high stress. She mentioned that although one specific area can be concentrated on, a more broad sense of the body could be worked on as well.

"The energy around a person is sacred," Tutt said. "It's a privilege to be a part of that."

According to the Colorado Center for Healing Touch Program, the goal of the therapy is to restore harmony and balance in the energy system placing the client in a position to self-heal. Healing Touch complements conventional health care and is used in collaboration with other approaches in health and healing.

"We are hoping to integrate it in as another healing technique in the Physical Therapy program." Tutt said. "In order for this to happen a set of protocols must be made."

Sharon Randazzo is a certified healing touch practitioner and instructor. She teaches at Front Range Community College and also has a private practice in her home.

Randazzo instructed Tutt along with other nurses at Hartshorn and students in her practice. She has been a practitioner for nine years and an instructor for seven years.

"I love teaching it," Randazzo said. "It's not that I'm always right, it is just that things start having a certain feel to them."

Randazzo said that energy healing is all about allowing the body to heal itself. People who come in get to choose whether they want their session to be hands-on or hands-off.

Sessions that are hands-on are more of what people would think of as a massage session. The practitioner will place his or her hands upon the client and feel out his or her energy. Once the energy is found then the healing starts.

Those that are hands-off are more of what people would think of as just meditating and feeling-out one's aura. Practitioners in this setting will feel one's energy and get a sense of how the individual's energy is flowing and what can be done.

Judy Matta, an accountant at Hartshorn, recently received care from Randazzo.

"When I get headaches, I go in to see Sharon and she can take the headache away," Matta said. "I don't understand it."

Energy healing isn't something that a person can adapt to right away; it takes time and faith. But with that, one may find hope.

"I know it sounds like a lot of hocus pocus, I thought it was at first as well," Tutt said. "But I found it to be very powerful."