Authors: Ryan Chapman

On Friday a Florida judge ordered that Terri Schiavo be starved to death because it was inhumane to keep her alive. Does this sound completely ridiculous to anyone else?

Terri Schiavo has been in a semi-vegetative state since she suffered brain damage in 1990. She is fed through a feeding tube inserted directly into her stomach. Now let me make sure this is perfectly clear to everyone before I continue – she is not on life-support and she is not brain-dead. She merely needs assistance with eating. Terri breaths and performs all other basic bodily functions on her own. She also smiles and nods to communicate with those around her although she cannot speak.

How many other people in this country need help feeding themselves? And how many of those people are purposely starved to death at the hands of activist judges? The answer, my friends, is NONE! Well, none until Friday that is, and do you know why? Because it is barbaric and utterly repulsive, that's why!

While this whole issue is very serious it is still funny to me that all those supporting this woman's so-called "right to die" are Democrats. The party that always stands for the people, the party that always fights for the little guy, now wants to kill an innocent woman. During this whole debate and during the emergency session of Congress called last night to discuss the issue, the Democrat's response has always been the same: "Let her husband kill her. Who cares?"

The Schiavo Relief Bill, which would allow a new federal evaluation of the case, passed easily despite the majority of Democrats and five Republicans voting against it. All the while, the Democrats complained, calling the session "grotesque" and "the manifestation of a constitutional crisis," according to MSNBC.com.

Colorado's own Democratic Congresswoman Diana DeGette made a fool of herself as well Monday, saying that Schiavo had been already been through enough misery. Good point, DeGette! Now she probably just wants to starve to death, right?

We all knew that Democrats liked to kill people, what with their support of abortion and euthanasia. But now it's not just innocent babies and senior citizens who are getting the axe; it is also disabled hospital patrons.

If it were up to me, Schiavo's husband, Michael Schiavo (who began this entire debacle), the judge who ordered her killed and the doctor who removed the feeding tube would all be arrested and tried for attempted murder. Since it is, however, not up to me, I commend Congress and the president for making this case a priority and for taking a stand for every American's right to life.

As I wrote this column Monday night, a woman was starving to death while her friends and family sat by her side. No matter what side of this issue you are on, your thoughts and prayers should be with the Schiavo family. Our thoughts and prayers should also probably be with all the Democrats who have worked so hard over the last couple days trying to end yet another innocent life.

Ryan Chapman is a junior marketing major. His column runs every Wednesday in the Collegian.