Authors: Megan Buettgenbach

The smell of blueberry cotton candy and the high-paced dance grooves of the campus Hip Hop Culture Club filled the Lory Student Center Plaza Monday through Wednesday.

Although this might sound like a carnival, it was actually put on by the College of Liberal Arts.

Liberal Arts Week, which happens once a year, is a time for students to find out what the College of Liberal Arts is all about.

"We are such a diverse college, and there are so many different kinds of people in the liberal arts, we just wanted to provide an opportunity to bring them together and paint, or dance or philosophize," wrote T. C. Ritz, event coordinator and a senior philosophy major, in an e-mail interview.

The event showcased popcorn, cotton candy, painting and info booths, which showed the diverse nature of the college.

"I think a lot of people look at liberal arts as a waste of time, but really, every major involves something really interesting," Ritz wrote. "And isn't that what life is supposed to be? Doing stuff you love? So, kids get to paint, or watch folks dance, or just hang out. It's fun."

Senior microbiology major Emily Smith was out on the Plaza Monday and took part in painting a mural.

"I painted a screaming banshee," Smith said with a little smile. "I think (Liberal Arts Week) is a great way to inform people on the different liberal arts majors — it got me down to the Plaza, and I never come down here."

The murals will hopefully be hung in the Liberal Arts Lounge, located in Clark Building C-wing.

"Liberal Arts Week is a week where we promote the college to students at large," said Jon Muller, the Liberal Arts Associated Students of CSU senior senator. "We want to let students know about the different clubs and organizations in the Liberal Arts College like German Club and Philosophy Club."

But Muller wants to emphasize one of the most important goals of Liberal Arts Week.

"It's also just a good time to have on campus," Muller said.