ASAP: We aim to entertain

Authors: ASCSU guest column

Greetings once again from the Associated Students of CSU- YOUR student government. We've been using this space all semester to inform you about what ASCSU is doing for you, and to tell you a bit about how ASCSU operates. One service we haven't mentioned yet is the Association for Student Activity Programming – CSU's premier programming and entertainment group.

You've probably seen or heard of ASAP at some point. Did you hear about the recently held auditions for CSU Idol? Sat down at a Ramskellar table for a Texas Hold'em poker tournament? Seen a Friday night CinemaCSU film in the Lory Student Center Theatre? These are just a few examples of the programs brought to our campus by the ASCSU Programming Board and ASAP.

ASAP is composed of six different programming committees that work to bring entertainment events to our campus in the areas of: concerts, comedy and speakers, cinema, conferences, traditions and special events. From campus-wide events such as Ram Welcome, Homecoming, Family Weekend and Green and Gold Week, to Ramskellar concerts and occasional movie sneak previews, ASAP is the place to be to get involved and to have a say in what programs are available to CSU students.

ASAP receives approximately $150,000 in ASCSU student fees to provide the campus with innovative programming. In the past, we've seen large-scale Moby concerts with groups like 311, POD, O.A.R. and big name speakers like Dr. Drew from MTV's "Loveline." ASAP is composed entirely of students, and every member has a voice in deciding what kinds of programs come to campus.

Interested in getting involved with programming? We are currently seeking applicants for positions on the 2005-2006 ASCSU Programming Board – the group that oversees the programming efforts of ASAP. Applications are available for the Director of Programming, the Assistant Director of Programming and six Programming Coordinator positions that correspond to each of the programming committees we listed above.

Applications are available in the ASCSU and ASAP offices located on the south side of the student, and are due by March 11. If you are interested in getting involved in ASAP, but don't necessarily want to take a leadership position for next year, stop by the ASAP office and tell them you are interested in helping out!

Want to get involved on campus, but not sure that programming is the right fit for you? ASCSU has many other opportunities available! Applications are also available in the ASCSU office to run for president, vice president and senator in the 2005 ASCSU election. These applications are due by Friday at 4 p.m. Make sure that the students of your college are accurately being represented to the university by running for a position in the ASCSU Senate. Get your voice heard today!

That's all from ASCSU for this week. We want to encourage everyone to have a safe and relaxing Spring Break. Remember to watch out for your fellow students! And remember, after the break there are only eight more weeks until summer! Enjoy and we'll see you in two weeks!

Jason Huitt, the Director of Information Technology for ASCSU, is a fifth year senior majoring in computer information systems. He can be reached at IT@ASCSU.ColoState.edu.