To the editor:

I was very impressed with the recent editorial about club sports (Wednesday). I myself play on the club lacrosse team. I really appreciate hearing support from the paper. We among other club teams try to work hard and generally don't receive that much support outside of friends and family.

Yet, we still play hard and try to represent the university as well as possible. This past Saturday the men's lacrosse team beat the University of Denver club in a devastating game resulting in a 23-2 score. Granted, DU club isn't a very good team, but we have a couple of home games in the future that will be exciting games and fun to watch. Get a moment to come watch one of the games, no matter if it's lacrosse or any other spring sport. We all could use the fans.

Ian Evans

Sophomore

Open-option seeking business

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I think Grant Tanabe, who commented on the "Wal-Mart: Capitalism Gone Amok" column in Friday's paper, is thinking just as monopolistically as Wal-Mart is acting. He talks about this corporation as if it were the only one on the planet, mentioning nothing about the jobs that are created when Wal-Marts disappear and the smaller businesses that are forced to close when Wal-Marts move in because they can't possibly compete with a huge corporation's prices or lobbying powers.

In Canada, when the store closed, new stores were allowed to fill the hole that was left, creating more jobs that probably paid better from companies that treated their employees nicer. A few of these probably even allow women equal opportunities! If you know anything about the company in question, you'd know that it doesn't have the best track record in this area. The demand for the items that a corporation sells doesn't have much to do with who is selling them.

I would rather replace large, underpaying corporations with more and smaller businesses that pay their employees a living wage so that they can support themselves and contribute to the local economy. As for the convenience and cheaper prices that large stores can offer, I'd rather pay to have my view back, and could do without having more plastic junk.

Hannah Varani

Sophomore

Rangeland ecology major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I would like to applaud JP Eichmiller's column that ran on Wednesday covering the recently crushed unionization effort at the Loveland Wal-Mart Supercenter. I do not believe that the general public really realizes how seriously Wal-Mart's tactics are impacting the grocery business right now.

As the son of a King Sooper's meat-cutter, I know how much Kroger would love to lower the wages and benefits of its employees, and regardless of the real impact of Wal-Mart, it provides the best excuse to date for it to pursue this line of action.

One thing Eichmiller didn't mention, and I urge sympathetic readers to do, is to realize the opportunities here in Fort Collins to shop at companies that value their workers more than Wal-Mart. Both Costco and Whole Foods are non-union shops that offer great wages and benefits to their employees relative to Wal-Mart, and in Costco's case, do so without sacrificing excellent bargains.

C. Maxwell Miller

Sophomore

History