Authors: Nick Piburn

There has been one common frustration for all outside club sports team this semester – lack of practice time outside on the field. The women's rugby team has not been an exception.

The lack of outside practice time, combined with a rough early schedule, has led to the team starting off with an 0-2 record in the Eastern Rockies Rugby Football Union. But including the St. Valentine's Day Massacre Feb. 12, the Rams are 2-3-1.

"It has been really hard to teach some of the rookies without being able to have outside practices," said freshman Jenna Middleton. "But were all really excited for the rookies to play and see what they can do."

The first two league games the Rams played were against top teams: Colorado and Air Force, who won nationals last year. Though the ladies lost both games they came out of the games feeling confident.

"We fought really hard in both games, the score didn't reflect the type of game it was," Middleton said.

The team has another league game today at 6 p.m. on Intramural Field One against Northern Colorado. The ladies will have three starters out – Alyssa Amason, Amanda Kehmeier and Middleton – so it will be a good time to see some of the younger players step up.

The CSU hockey team doesn't have to worry about getting time outside; instead the players are worrying about how to get past the competition at the American Collegiate Hockey Association Nationals, which is being held at Oakland University in Detroit.

"Right now everyone's pretty stoked to be here," said club president Jordan Stover as the team was on the bus to play its first game against Wagner.

The team's first three games are set matchups against Wagner, Davenport and Liberty. If the team wins those games it would then play Saturday in the semifinals. The finals will be played Saturday night.

The team has given itself the best possible chance to advance through to the championship, as it earned the No. 1 seed in the west for the tournament.

In other club sports news, the CSU indoor triathlon team is hosting an indoor triathlon Sunday at 8 a.m. at the Student Recreation Center. The event is a fund-raiser and physical tuneup for the team in preparation for nationals coming up on April 16in Lake Havasu, Ariz. For more information on the event and on the team, visit www.csutriteam.com.