Authors: Ryan Chapman

As all of my regular readers know by now, I follow a strict policy of always telling it how it is. While this is sometimes viewed unfavorably by the more politically correct among us, it's a way of life for me. So, in continuing this tradition I would like to say that collegiate sports at CSU suck. Now, I realize this is a fairly broad and harsh generalization, so let me explain further.

I actually have no idea how the women's water polo or men's golf teams have been doing. I know for a fact, however, that the vast majority of the football games and every single basketball game I have attended the past two semesters have ended in disappointing losses. Now all of this is neither here nor there and I am not placing any blame for the sub-par seasons some of our teams have been experiencing. I merely want to suggest an alternative form of entertainment for the rest of you disappointed fans out there: club sports.

While attendance is dwindling at nearly every sporting event in Fort Collins, club teams on campus are gearing up for exciting spring seasons. The club sports program here at CSU is one of the most impressive in the country and many students are unaware of the excitement and thrills that can be offered by Colorado's top non-scholarship athletes.

The men's lacrosse team, for instance, is a former national champion and is gearing up for what promises to be another great season. Girl's lacrosse, baseball and ice hockey here also provide a level of entertainment unmatched in collegiate sports.

The men's and women's rugby teams are entering new seasons for those up for a more "physical" experience. The men's team will be hosting the "Border War" against Wyoming on the night of March 11. This bitter rivalry will be played out under the lights of the Intramural Fields, marking the team's first night game in more than a year.

Everything from bowling to shotgun sports and cricket to underwater hockey is played on the club level at CSU, offering a wide variety of sports for the student body's viewing pleasure.

This spring will be an exciting time on campus, but not because of the football team's Green and Gold Game. And certainly not because of another CSU appearance in the NCAA basketball tournament, but because of club teams, teams whose players hold fund-raisers and work overtime just to afford the chance to play. With players who practice just as hard and with just as much dedication, but who will never have highlights on "SportsCenter."

This semester I would urge all students to get out and watch a new sport. You could even play a new sport for that matter. But either way, go to a game, see your first match and share in the Ram pride that so many club athletes exemplify on a weekly basis. Go and cheer on those athletes who will never experience a 40,000-person crowd.

After all, everyone here loves to see the green and gold whoop up on those dirty hippies from Boulder, even if it is in a rodeo.

Ryan Chapman is a junior marketing student. He is a member of the club sports men's rugby team. His columns run on Wednesdays in the Collegian.

Authors: Ryan Chapman