Authors: Justin Shaw

2005 Mountain West Conference, Swimming and Diving Championships

Final Team Rankings

Place School Points

1 UNLV 701

2 BYU 670

3 Utah 607

4 CSU 489

5 Wyoming 431

6 New Mexico 387

7 Air Force 221

8 SDSU 153

The CSU swimming and diving team finished its season in fourth place at the Mountain West Conference Championship meet in Oklahoma City Wednesday through Saturday.

"Going into the meet, my expectations weren't as high as they were at the beginning of the season because we've had a rough year with injuries," said head coach John Mattos.

On the meet's first day, the CSU 200 medley relay team of freshman Amy Abrams, senior Lyndsey McCaslin, junior Rachelle Kula and junior Elizabeth Jones earned a first-place finish. The team swam the event in a time of 1:43.01 and the win was the third straight in three years for the CSU 200 medley relay team at the MWC meet.

The Rams freshmen diving team was also in action on Wednesday. Elyse Hall finished 13th in the 1-meter diving with a score of 212.50. Amber Utesch placed 17th at 204.25 and Karin Knudson finished 21st (192.10).

On the second day of the meet, Jones placed first in the 50 freestyle. Jones' accomplishment also provisionally got her to the NCAA championships and was her second MWC 50 freestyle title. Junior Taylor Felton and sophomore Chandra Engs also made it to the finals in their respective races.

Felton, who drastically decreased her time, placed sixth in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:00.77 and Engs finished fourth in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:06.01. McCaslin and Kula also placed 11th and 15th in the 200 IM.

On the meet's third day the Rams had two more conference champions. Freshman Abigail Iler won the MWC title for the 400 IM in a time of 4:22.44 and Kula won the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.97.

Jones took third place in the 200 freestyle finals with a time of 1:51.31 while Felton finished fifth in the event in 1:52.78. McCaslin placed fourth in the 100 breaststroke and CSU's 400 medley relay team of sophomore Brette Winegarner, McCaslin, Kula and Jones finished fourth with a time of 3:48.60.

On the final day, Jones continued her success by finishing third in the finals of the 100 freestyle, earning all-conference honors. The Rams also had two swimmers place in the finals of the 200 butterfly. Freshman Sara Servold and Iler finished in fifth and seventh place, respectively, in the event.

"I was very happy with the performances of our three conference champions and especially of ours seniors who swam lifetime bests in seven of their nine events," Mattos said.

The Rams finished the meet in fourth place overall with 489 points. BYU and Utah placed second and third, and UNLV claimed its first-ever MWC swimming and diving championship.

"We had a tougher year than we're accustomed to due to having so many freshmen and injuries, but the fourth-place finish was better than expected," Mattos said.

CSU finished the season with a dual record of 5-5. The NCAA Swimming Championships will be held March 17-19 in West Lafayette, Ind. The NCAA Zone E Diving Regionals will be held March 11-12.