Authors: Amanda Havekost

STAR OF THE MEET: CSU Senior Thrower Loree Smith

Mountain West Conference Championship Results:

Men Points Women Points

BYU 207 BYU 188.50

CSU 203.50 CSU 172

Air Force 94.50. Wyoming 80

Wyoming 78 Utah 57.50

New Mexico 67 San Diego State 54

UNLV 51

New Mexico 31

Air Force 29

MWC Indoor Track and Field Championships Individual Awards:

Male Outstanding Performance Award – Adam Trainor, CSU

Female Outstanding Performance Award – Loree Smith, CSU

Female Co-Coach of the Year – Del Hessel, CSU

COLORADO SPRINGS — The CSU men's and women's track and field teams left the Mountain West Conference Championships Saturday with second-place team rankings and the men's and women's outstanding performance individual awards.

Head coach Del Hessel was awarded MWC Co-Coach of the Year for the women and is proud of the teams and the three school records broken this weekend.

"This was the best performance I've ever seen by the entire team at Colorado State," Hessel said. "Everyone worked extremely hard and it came down to the wire, which is how a championship should be."

The Rams track teams led for part of the day, but the men's title was determined by the final event, the mile relay.

Coming into the final race, Brigham led the Rams by 1.5 points. The Cougars finished the relay, beating out the Rams by less than one second. That victory gave BYU the edge and the men's team title by three and a half points.

The BYU men's team (No. 6 according to the United States Track Coaches Association Team Power Rankings) and women's team (No. 8) teams both claimed team conference titles at the Air Force Academy Cadet Field House Saturday.

The BYU women won their sixth consecutive team title and have never lost a MWC indoor championship. The BYU men won their fifth conference title in six years.

Senior thrower Loree Smith broke multiple records this weekend and earned the Female Outstanding Performance Award for the Championship Meet.

Smith claimed first in the shot put and broke the MWC Championship, MWC All-Time and CSU records with a NCAA-qualifying throw of 56-3.

"For the first time, I'm really excited about my shot put," Smith said.

Smith also won the MWC Championship for the weight throw.

"It was expected (to win), but unexpected (to break records)," Smith said.

Senior thrower Adam Trainor was awarded the Male Outstanding Performance Award.

Freshmen thrower Stacey Poulos cheered her team on after competing in the meet.

"I think our team is doing awesome," Poulos said. "It's (cheering for your team) something you can't do without and it really helps."

Junior middle distance runner Brett Melin placed eighth in the 800 and said the encouragement players give each other provides a great team atmosphere.

"It motivates and pushes everyone over their limit, which is what we need," Melin said.

Another school record fell when junior Amanda Huddleston made a NCAA provisional qualifying leap of 41-6 1/2, placing second in the triple jump.

The third school record to topple this weekend was the women's 4×400 relay. The record-breaking team won the event with a time of 3:49.54. The quartet consisted of senior Katrice Thomas, junior Becky Hammitt, freshman Emily Pearson and sophomore Megan Fox.

Hammitt also won the women's 800 meters with a time of 2:14.19.

"It feels good," Hammit said. "I felt like I was defending my title and I wanted to run well and make my mark."

Junior Danielle Korb ran a NCAA provisional time of 4:56.92 for a second-place finish in the mile.

Thomas placed third in both the 200 and 400. Junior Nicole Feest was second in the 3000.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach placed second in the 60 with a personal best time of 7.47.

Senior sprinter John Woods placed first in the 60 for the second-consecutive year with a time of 6.79. Freshman Drew Morano finished fourth, and sophomore Rodnee Pope was fifth behind Woods.

Rams took second and third in the 200. Pope finished second and Morano came in third.

Senior Brandon Kent placed second in the 400 and junior Justin Hazzard came in fifth, followed by Moreno in sixth.

Hazzard also finished second in the 60-meter hurdles with while junior Mike Horton close behind, placing third.

Senior Mike Nicks placed second in the mile and fifth in the 3000.

In the men's field events, senior Jacob Benson finished third in the triple jump after straining a groin muscle Friday in the long jump competition.

Sophomore Magnus Lohse won the shot put with a throw of 63-1/4.

In the women's high jump, freshman Anne McLaughlin cleared 5-8 to earn a third-place finish and a personal best jump. Sophomore Katie Lloyd and junior Jenny Higgason tied for fourth place with 5-6 jumps.

The men are ranked No. 13 in the United States Track Coaches Association Team Power Rankings. The USTCA has the CSU women at No. 14 in the nation.