To the editor:

I enjoyed Tyler Wittman's piece on the fashion sense of Trustafarian nitwits. Things can only get worse with the release of "The Motorcycle Diaries."

I've noticed that Mao Zedong has also become cool despite the millions he killed. Hey, hippies, Pol Pot shirts are going to be THE must-have "fight the oppressive system" fashion accessory next season.

Paul Kim

Graduate student

Cell and molecular biology

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Vincent Adams' column, that Gov. Bill Owens is an "Enemy of America." This is where the line in the sand must be drawn. I personally know Gov. Owens and happen to be friends with him and his daughter, Monica. The governor is a good man who isn't afraid to stand for what is right and just.

Yes, Gov. Bill Owens is employed by the taxpayers. They also elected him as well. His job title is the CEO of the State of Colorado. Last time I checked, a university professor's job, which is paid for by the taxpayers and students, is to educate, not spew pro-terror, pro-violence, anti- American hate speech against the very country that he or she lives in and make his or her living. In addition, to the governor aligning himself with President Bush, where's the problem?

It's disturbing that liberals are more tolerant of Saddam Hussein than they are of President Bush and Gov. Bill Owens. I guess liberating 25 million is a bad thing to the liberals in the USA!!! Finally, Gov. Bill Owens isn't trying to silence free speech, he is holding those who are required to be professional, such as professors who receive their paychecks from the taxpayers, accountable for their actions. Maybe we should ask the victim's families of Sept. 11, 2001, if they would feel comfortable letting Professor Churchill educate their children? Gov. Bill Owens for President 2008!!!

Justin T Davis

Vice President CSU College Republicans

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

After reading a recent letter to the editor, I assumed that maybe, just maybe, the grammatical issues within the Collegian would improve.

Big surprise; that wasn't the case. When editors don't even know the difference between the words "soul" and "sole" (see Ryan Chapman's article), you know there's a problem. Even a headline on the front page is misspelled! I suggest you consider hiring someone with at least an elementary grasp on the English language for next year.

Travis Magwire

Senior

Marketing

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing today in regards to the column, "Governor proving to be enemy of America," which appeared Tuesday in the Collegian. Before I go any further, I must first state that I am Bill Owens' daughter.

Consequently, after reading Mr. Adams column, I have to admit that I find him to be somewhat of a hypocrite in his advocacy for freedom of speech. Where were you, Vince, when I needed support for my right to freedom of speech as a writer? In a mere blink of an eye, you openly lend your support to University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill and his lack of respect for the victims of Sept. 11, 2001, yet not for a fellow CSU student.

You are loosing credibility, Mr. Adams; in fact, the entire opinion page is. My father is his simply striving for the academic excellence that he owes to his electors, not trying to infringe on Churchill's right to express himself. The people of Colorado elected him to defend them from such pro-terrorist views as Professor Churchill's (especially when his salary is at the expense of state taxpayers).

By suppressing my father's opinion, as well as my own, and by supporting Ward Churchill's effort, you are actively selective in who is entitled the First Amendment right to freedom of speech, and subsequently, who is not.

Monica W. Owens

Senior

Psychology/Criminology major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I was offended by a recent "rant," published in the Feb. 23 edition of "Rant: Ram Talk". The "rant" read: "I don't understand why we get Martin Luther King Jr. Day off but not Presidents Day. Surely all of the presidents combined did a lot more for this country then Martin Luther King Jr. If we have to choose just one, the presidents should take the cake…"

I'd like to think that the contributor of this "rant" had the best intentions in mind (they feel that the presidents deserve a day off), but honestly, what kind of person disparages the accomplishments of MLK? You could say that MLK had to fight through the foundation that the founding fathers (whom we celebrated this past Monday) laid!

To compare the importance of MLK Day to Presidents Day is an unfair comparison (one man compared to 43), and to belittle the accomplishments of MLK, in what seems to be nothing more than a plea for a three-day weekend, is something I just don't understand.

-Ian Lloyd

Junior

Nutrition and food science major

To the editor,

Uncategorized  Add comments

Perhaps you could convince Ryan Chapman to actually engage in some serious discussion about the pros and cons of Howard Dean at the head of the Democratic National Committee, and allow us all to move away from the inane, unproductive tripe that seems to be passing for political commentary in the Collegian these days.

Serious discourse, such as actually analyzing a view or two that Dean has, as opposed to merely characterizing them as "hippy rants."

Serious discourse, such as an attempt to recognize that "common folk" includes people on both sides of the political spectrum, and even those of us who support Dean and some of his views.

Serious discourse, perhaps even including a concrete example of why it's "confusing" that the Democratic Party would be seeking to reorganize after the last few elections, as opposed to resorting to Sen. John Kerry bashing. That a major political party is seeking to reinvent itself after two failed presidential bids is hardly confusing to anyone who stops and thinks for a second.

That the Democrats would choose Dean, with his demonstrated ability to organize and mobilize on a grass roots level, is not particularly confusing.

That the Democrats would choose Dean, and in doing so move away from the unsuccessful Republican-light version of politics that they've been pushing, is not confusing. In fact, the only aspect of Dean as the chairman that is confusing is that the bulk of the "Dean for Chairman?! Are you CRAZY?!?!" complaints that seem to be going around are coming from Republicans. It kind of makes me think that the Democrats might be on the right track.

Thomas Miller

Senior history and anthropology major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This is in regard to CSU President Penley's proposal for increased fee per credit hour.

First of all, according to Mr. Jason Huitt, (director of the University Technology Fee Review Board) $10 per credit hour is merely moderate. Does he not realize that's about $360 per year ($180 per semester) increase for the average student, many of whom are working to pay for their education? This can require an extra 60 hours of work, which is definitely significant for a full-time student.

Secondly, the fee he is proposing, for $7 million a year, is a ridiculous amount to be spent on construction. The state of the buildings must not be terribly important since just this summer, when our tuition increased (along with the number of admitted students), money was spent on aesthetic construction of the Student Recreation Center! With this in mind, I don't see why any increase in either tuition or student fees can't be spent on costs to better improve our education, such as laboratory equipment or increasing the number of available classes. Too many times a would-be-graduating senior ends up staying another semester because a required class is only offered at one time, conflicting with another required class also offered only at one time, or the allowed number of students is too small for everyone needing or wanting to take the class.

In summary, I don't think this proposal is accurately addressing the needs of the students, the very backbone of this institution, and it should be reconsidered.

Abby Dawson

Senior biochemistry major