MWC title time for swimmers

Authors: Justin Shaw

It has been a long and difficult road for CSU's swimming and diving team.

The team is 5-5 in duals this year entering today's Mountain West Conference meet. This season has seen its ups and downs and has featured a three-meet winning streak and a four-dual losing streak. The Rams are trying to stop a losing streak that has dated back to December.

However, the slate is wiped clean for the MWC meet this week and the team can still make some big-time noise. The Rams will travel to Oklahoma City, looking to show that they belong with the conference's top teams. CSU finished second in this meet last year and will try to duplicate that success this season.

CSU junior Rachelle Kula is ranked in the league's top three with the MWC's second-best time in the 100-meter butterfly. Kula and fellow junior Elizabeth Jones will try to lead by example in the meet, as both were part of the second-place team from last season.

CSU returns three second-team all-conference finishers from last season: sophomore Chandra Engs (200-meter individual medley, 400-meter IM), Jones (100-meter freestyle) and senior Lyndsey McCaslin (100-meter breaststroke). CSU's 400-meter freestyle relay and 200-meter medley relay have the third-best times in the MWC coming into the meet.

The CSU divers will compete in the NCAA Diving Qualifier on March 11-12 before the NCAA Championships are held on March 17-19 at Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind.