Authors: Jon Pilsner

Three weeks ago, CSU football coach Sonny Lubick hinted this year's recruiting class wasn't quite yet done.

The past weekend, the class became full.

Jermaine Walters, a defensive back from Masabi Range Community and Technical College in Minnesota, has committed to come to CSU next fall.

The 6-foot, 215-pound, junior-to-be will enroll at CSU this fall. He made his decision after visiting the campus this past weekend.

Walters' commitment puts the CSU class for 2005 at 20 committed and signed recruits, although some will delay enrollment until Spring 2005.

Because Walters' letter-of-intent has not been fully prepared, CSU athletic department officials and coaches cannot comment on him per NCAA regulations.

Walters, who said he was contacted by CSU staff, said he had his heart set on becoming a Ram.

"I love CSU. They were great to me," Walters said. "I liked the whole experience there."

Walters, who played high school in Hollywood, Fla., said he loved the campus, and the city and that made his decision to commit easy.

"I hung out with the guys when I was out there this weekend and had a great time," Walters said. "I just think it's a great fit for me."

The safety/cornerback said he expected to compete for a starting job. Walters is the second junior college defensive back to sign with the Rams this year. Joey Rucks from West Los Angeles Junior College also signed with CSU.

The Rams return both cornerbacks, junior-to-be Brandon Cathy and senior-to-be Robert Herbert, but Walters said he talked to the coaching staff about competing for a position.

"They made real clear their expectations," Walters said. "I want to go in there and make an impact right away."

Walters said he's ready to go and meet those expectations.

"I'm excited," Walter said. "(All of the coaches) there have been terrific."