Authors: ASCSU

Greetings once again from the Associated Students of Colorado State University – YOUR student government! We've been using this space over the course of the semester to keep you up to date and informed about some of the projects we've been working on and the many services we provide to CSU students.

Perhaps the most visible ASCSU event on campus each spring semester is our general election. This year's election will occur during April 4 – 6. While very soon you will become well acquainted with who is running, we wanted to give you a better idea of what these candidates will be doing if they are elected and how you can run for a position if you are interested.

The main mission of ASCSU is to represent the needs and wishes of the student body to the university. This great deal of work is done by the ASCSU Senate, which is composed of over 30 students from each academic college, including intra-university and graduate students.

Aside from representing your college in weekly senate meetings, these students also serve on nearly every university committee where policy is made. Senators serve on the Parking Services Committee, Lory Student Center Governing Board, Student Fee Review Board, numerous Faculty Council committees, such as the Committee on Teaching and Learning and the Committee on Libraries, and many other groups that make important decisions affecting almost every aspect of your time here at CSU.

The two positions that will be most visible during the election are student body president and vice president. The ASCSU president is the primary representative of the students of CSU, and sits on the Board of Governors for the CSU System. The president also serves as our official voice to the City of Fort Collins, the Colorado Commission on Higher Education, the Colorado State Legislature and any media outlets that look for student opinion.

The vice president chairs each ASCSU Senate meeting and also chairs the Student Fee Review Board, which oversees all student fees at CSU. The president and vice president work full time for the student body, often missing entire days of class in order to carry out their job duties. These individuals set the tone for what ASCSU accomplishes each year.

The ASCSU General Election also gives you the opportunity to have a direct say in how your student government operates, as the ASCSU Constitution is currently up for ratification. The Constitution deals with the inner workings of ASCSU and outlines the job description of how we represent you. If you are interested in learning more about any of the positions you can run for this April, please check out the ASCSU Web site at www.ASCSU.ColoState.edu.

The campaign period of the ASCSU election begins the Monday after Spring Break and runs through the end of voting at 4 p.m. on Monday, April 6. Running for office in ASCSU is the best way to get informed about what is happening on campus, and gives you a voice in how your university works.

If you are interested in getting involved, please stop by our office in the south end of the Lory Student Center. Applications to run for president, vice president, and senator are available now and are due by the Friday before Spring Break. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Columns from Associated Students of CSU members run throughout the semester.