To the editor:

I thought the article on the Vagina Monologues was quite good and drew a nice outline of the message of the play, but as a performer in the play, I must say I was shocked to see in the headline "Play focuses on body image, equal pay, violence toward women." Though I know that every woman would agree that we need equal pay, nowhere in the play does it discuss this issue. Perhaps if the writer had actually stayed for the play, instead of just going off quotes, he would know this.

-Melissa May

Sophomore, apparel and merchandising major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Telling the whole story about Ward Churchill's essay (http://www.darknightpress.org/index.php?i=print&article=9) creates a public good, one that we can all benefit from. Reacting to sound bites created by private mass media distillation reinforces stereotypes, makes us slaves to sensationalism and keeps us polarized. I spent eight years growing up with the Taos Pueblo people. The Pueblo people there, and in the several other Pueblos in New Mexico, spend hours upon hours, sometimes all night long, for many nights, reaching consensus on issues that affect them all. Truth is not taken lightly there. There is no room for sound-bite distillations when the public good is at stake. Our country cannot afford to take the truth lightly either.

According to a 1964 University of Colorado Statement on Extramural Utterances, "The controlling principle is that a faculty member's expression of opinion as a citizen cannot constitute grounds for dismissal unless it clearly demonstrates the faculty member's unfitness for his or her position. Extramural utterances rarely bear upon the faculty member's fitness for the position." By this standard, calls to fire Ward Churchill seem entirely out of place. As he said, the Sept. 11, 2001, suicide bombers did not "initiate" a war with the United States, much less commit "the first acts of war of the new millennium." Long before the beginning to the new millennium this and other Western countries were committing crimes against humanity. If you love the truth as much as your country, PLEASE start listening to the whole story.

Davidkro Lauer

Community member