To the Editor:

In response to Tuesday's article concerning the denied revision of the Public Nuisance Ordinance and still undecided Residential Rental Registration Ordinance, I am thrilled to hear that the Nuisance Ordinance revisions were not passed. The proposed Residential Rental Registration Ordinance is clearly aimed at students, with this becoming clearer in the statements made in Tuesday's article. The closing quote by councilwoman Marty Tharp, wherein she states that "this wonderful university" will be "surrounded by slums and nobody will want to live there" fully exemplifies the ordinances bias against college students. The areas in direct radius to the college are primarily occupied by college students and by having the Registration Ordinance target these areas, it is targeting college students. Furthermore, by removing the mandates for the health and safety of the renters, the Registration Ordinance is geared at being able to contact landlords when neighbors have problems with the students living next to them, rather than having the respect to contact the students themselves. I, personally, do not know any student who rents property off campus who would not respect a neighbor's request so long as they are brought about in polite, respectful ways. If the community members of Fort Collins do not respect us, we will not respect them.

Holly Bookman

Junior psychology major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I was listening to KCSU on Tuesday morning when I encountered an "interesting" contest between a male and female student. The competition consisted of "guy questions" to be answered by the female student, and "girl questions" to be answered by the male student. The "girl questions" were in reference to "sugar, spice and everything nice," the location of a "girdle" (or corset), and how to stop a run in stockings. Conversely, the "guy questions" solicited the description of a "goatee," the point value of a "safety" in football and the "definition of an air ball in basketball." To whoever determined these gendered questions: Many women are a hell of a lot tougher than "sugar and spice," girdles and corsets are historically viewed as tools of containment, and most women don't see "run-stopping" as a definitive feminine role. Likewise, a goatee hardly has cultural implications comparable to that of a girdle; I know many females who love and understand football, and I'm pretty sure that CSU actually has a women's basketball program, if I'm not mistaken.

Brandon Bianco

Junior speech communication major