Authors: Jon Pilsner

Don't like the call? Throw the red flag!

OK, maybe not quite. But there is a change coming to Mountain West Conference football next year.

MWC Commissioner Craig Thompson announced in a press release Wednesday that the MWC will implement instant replay for the 2005 football season, pending formal approval by the NCAA.

"The Mountain West Conference has proven it competes at the highest level of Division I-A football," Thompson said in the release. "This initiative, which we see as an opportunity to enhance our football operation, is another example of our commitment and something we have aggressively pursued."

The MWC has been actively pursuing installing instant replay since January, when it sent a letter to the NCAA Football Rules Committee requesting authorization to establish instant replay in football games.

Specific issues surrounding the program, such as if the replay official will be on the field or in the box, will be worked out in the coming months. The NCAA will make a list of reviewable plays, but each conference that uses replay will handle the infrastructure and logistic questions.

The Big Ten Conference used instant replay last year, becoming the first conference in the NCAA to use a system of instant replay. This past week, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced it would also use a replay system this upcoming football season.

CSU coaches and athletic department officials could not be reached for comment.