Authors: Megan Buettgenbach

With the disappearance of CSU's disc golf course, many students have dropped the sport to the wayside.

However, there are other places for disc golfers to still enjoy their game.

"CSU had a (disc) golf club from 1969 to 2004," said Adam Dembicki, spokesman of the Northern Colorado Disc Golf Club. "There is no organization for the players at CSU anymore. It seemed to die a quiet death. It is sad, but we want to encourage them to join leagues and have fun."

Sophomore Tim Kefalas, a liberal arts open-option major, used to be in CSU's disc golf club.

"After the course at CSU was taken out completely, it just was not as accessible anymore," Kefalas said. "I would defiantly be more involved if it was still here."

The university's course was taken out completely before school started this past fall because of the numerous injuries by-passers received from the discs.

The Northern Colorado club, also more commonly known by its members as the Grateful Fliers Club, would like to promote its group sessions to college students.

The club has leagues at Edora Park every Sunday at 11 a.m. during the fall, winter and spring. In the summer, after daylight savings time, league is at 6 p.m.

"(League) is a gathering of people who want to play in a semi-competitive environment," Dembicki said. "We even have six more holes besides the 18 holes on Sunday."

League has divisions for all ranges of competition level. There are children, women, amateur and professional level groups.

"We are going to have a tournament once a month, with the idea of letting people play in their division," Dembicki said. "It is a non-threatening entry into our club."

Many of the club's tournaments are put on to support chartable causes.

The Thanksgiving Lance Armstrong tournament raised $2,500 for cancer research.

The club also offers doubles, a chance for players to pair off and play against other pairs for a cash prize.

"We do have doubles," Dembicki said. "But that happens after the time change because we need light to play in."

Doubles takes place in the summer on Thursdays at 6 p.m.

"I have played in doubles a couple of times," said Chad Pearson, a junior electrical engineering student. "I have not joined the club yet, but I am going to do that this year."

However, even though some students know about these options, they may find playing with other advanced players intimating.

"It just seems like you show up Sunday mornings and there are people who seem like competitive players," Pearson said. "It does not look like beginners out there, despite their invites to everyone."

Nevertheless, Pearson thinks that going to league is still a good idea.

"Just show up," Pearson said. "You might lose, but you will learn a lot. (There is) no harm done by just showing up and playing."