Authors: Lindsay Reiter

Unknown to many students, an exhibition of "wearable art" is on display in the Gustafson Gallery in the Gifford Building.

Last fall students in the Theoretical Design Solutions class designed and constructed pieces of work based on a specific theory chosen by the professor.

"The criteria was their work had to have a link to the chaos theory," said Eulanda Sanders-Okine, an associate professor in apparel and merchandising and the instructor for the class.

In the class a specific theory – in this case the chaos theory — was applied to the design process. The class culminated in a juried exhibition of the students' work, called "Creativity in Life & Art: The Collision of Chaos Theory & Fibers."

"I was amazed by the elaborate designs of the clothes on display," said Amber CoRona, a freshman human development and family studies major.

Julia DiVerti, a design and merchandising graduate student, was inspired to create her body of work by traditional tribal belly-dance attire.

"When I'm not a grad student I teach tribal belly dance. I wanted to combine something familiar to me, which is belly dancing with the chaos theory, which is new to me," DiVerti said.

Once DiVerti took away the rules associated with belly dancing she was able to apply the chaos theory and experiment with the design.

Ruth Huff, also a graduate student in design and merchandising, focused her designs on wedding dresses.

"One challenge I was given in this course was to design a line of wedding dresses that was less traditional than what I normally design," Huff said. "I used the stages in the development of a berry for the inspiration for this line."

Huff designed four dresses for the exhibit, each of which represents a stage in the growth process of a berry.

The tribal and wedding designs are accompanied by other designs in the exhibit inspired by Asian textiles, everyday objects and the Museum of Modern Art in New York, "The Winter's Tale" by William Shakespeare and the Choctaw Nation.

"I liked the AIDS awareness shirt which is made out of AIDS ribbons because it took the ribbon that stands for AIDS and used it to make a shirt," CoRona said.

Huff's "Leaves" received Best Craftsmanship. DiVerti's "Red Medusa" and "Indigo for Ananda" received Best of Show and her "From Heaven to Hell" and "Indigo for Ananda" received Most Creative Combination of Materials. Many of the other pieces in the exhibition also received awards.

The exhibition will be on display until Feb. 25.