Utes down Rams behind Bogut

Authors: Scott Bondy

Andrew Bogut certainly stole the show and displayed why he may be one of the top picks in this year's NBA draft against CSU Saturday night. With a career-high 33 points and 16 rebounds, Bogut, a 7-footer from Melbourne, Australia, carried the Utes (21-3, 9-0 Mountain West) to their 16th straight victory, winning 64-50.

"It's a privilege to play with Andrew," said Utah guard Marc Jackson in a Utah press release. "He's great. He was composed today, he finished a lot of hard shots and he made his foul shots today. That's definitely a big thing for a big man. I've always thought he was the best big man in there.

Jackson was the second-leading scorer for the Utes with nine points.

Senior forward Matt Williams returned to action for the Rams (9-13, 1-8 in MWC) after missing three games with a knee injury.

"It's great to have Matt Williams back from injury," said CSU head coach Dale Layer in a release. "He helps our team not only offensively, but also with his overall presence. It would be nice to have Jason (Smith) back in the lineup, but Matt's a breath of fresh air.

Williams had a team-high 17 points while going 7-of-13 from the floor, but he didn't get much help. Senior center Matt Nelson was the only other Ram to score in double figures, with 12, but he fouled out with 12:29 left in the second half. It was also the first time in Nelson's 98-game career without a single rebound.

The Utes were in control most of the game, leading by as many as 17 points. But the Rams put together a 16-4 run with 3:20 to play in the game, bringing the Utah lead to five.

That was as close as the Rams came, however, and Utah closed the game by scoring the last nine points.

Each team was held to less than 50 percent shooting, as defense played a large role in the game.

"I thought our defensive effort today was great," Layer said in the release. "I don't know exactly what they shot today, but I know we did a great job preventing them from scoring the ball.

The Rams will be staying in Utah for a game tonight versus Brigham Young. They are still looking for their first road win of the year and hope to end a seven-game losing streak. Their only previous conference win came versus BYU on Jan. 15 by a score of 74-67. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.