Authors: Ryan Skeels

It took a few double-takes to realize Mr. Cheese-action, Will Smith, is actually in a movie with nothing blowing up, no guns whatsoever and none of his cheek-biting one-liners. His first movie without all the flashy noises and graphics since "Ali" and "Legend of Bagger Vance," Smith stars as Alex Hitchens in the just-in-time-for-Valentine's Day movie "Hitch."

Hitch is the date doctor – that is, he works independently and secretly as a man who has "the cure for the common man." If you have a problem getting your foot in the door with women, then Hitch can help. He'll take you under his wing and give you all the hints you need at wooing the woman of your dreams and makes your first kiss with her the last first kiss she'll ever have. Too bad he can't walk his talk when it comes to his own lust for true love.

The movie moves along a little slow in parts and takes some really obvious plot turns, but it still comes out on top of lots of relationship movies, from a guy's perspective anyhow.

The previews make it look like it's going to use all the racial and gender stereotype jokes in the book, and thankfully, it doesn't. Instead "Hitch" introduces a handful of people to the audience, develops their characters in full and makes you feel for them and cheer them on in their attempts to end single life. Not to mention it has situational humor to boot with a little emotion on the side.

It's kind of funny, or maybe it's creepy, that Director Alex Tennant made this movie only 10 years after directing the huge hit "It Takes Two." You remember that movie with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson trying to destroy a relationship just to create a new one? Yup, it's creepy.

If you're looking for something to see tonight to get those first-date Valentine's Day jitters out of the way, "Hitch" may be the movie for you. If your night is looking like a family night, don't take your mother to this one; it's kind of uncomfortable.

It's too bad there won't be a new season of 'Celebrity Deathmatch" this year, as Jude Law and Will Smith would certainly duke it out as Alfie and Hitch. Unfortunately for sissy-pants Law though, Hitch's game would blow his out of the water.

2.5 out of 4 ram noggins