Authors: Amanda Havekost

The CSU track and field teams will separate for the first time this season to compete in three different meets this weekend.

The track team members will travel to meet in Arkansas, Nebraska or Golden to represent CSU Saturday. The triple-threat division will give the Rams some new competition and challenges.

Coach Del Hessel will send at least 20 Rams to Fayetteville, Ark., for the Tyson Invitational. The meet will air on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Senior jumper Jacob Benson is planning to match his winning performance from last week.

"I'm looking forward to this meet and to improvement." Benson said.

Junior Amanda Huddleston tied her own record last week and is looking forward to competing in the prestigious meet.

"I'm really excited to have a chance to go," Huddleston said. "I'm happy I'm consistently jumping over 40 feet."

Senior John Woods and senior thrower Loree Smith were named Mountain West Conference athletes of the week. Woods received the honor for the first time this season after breaking two records last week in the 60-meters and the 200. This is Woods' second indoor award of his career and third overall.

This marks the eighth time Smith has been received this honor in her career and the third week in a row to be named MWC athlete of the week. Hessel has enjoyed watching Smith evolve as an athlete.

"It's been phenomenal." Hessel said. "She's been very dedicated and her accomplishments are due to her self motivation."

The United States Track Coaches Association Power Rankings has the men ranked No. 9 in the nation and the women ranked No. 10.

Nine Rams will split from the team and travel to Lincoln, Neb., for the Prairie Wolf Invitational hosted by Nebraska Wesleyan all day Saturday. The teams will compete in the 3000, 200, 400, 4X400 relay, 60 and 800 during their visit to the Cornhusker state.

The rest of the team will travel to Golden to represent the green and gold at the Colorado School of Mines meet.