Authors: Lila Hickey

CSU administration announced open forums in the coming weeks for candidates applying for the university's vice president for administrative services position, the first step in finding a permanent replacement for Gerry Bomotti.

Bomotti, who worked at CSU for more than a decade, announced his resignation in July 2003 after receiving an offer from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Keith Ickes, director of Budgets and Institutional Analysis, was appointed interim vice president after Bomotti left. Now that the university is seeking a permanent replacement, Ickes is applying for the job.

The candidates are scheduled to visit campus in mid-February to meet students, faculty and staff in a series of open forums hosted in the Lory Student Center.

Ickes said he did not know how long the hiring process would take but hoped to get the job permanently.

"(When it's finished) I hope I'm still at Colorado State University as vice president (for administrative services)," Ickes said.

The other candidates are Juan Sandoval, executive director of auxiliary enterprises and finance at El Paso Independent School District, Robert Specter, vice president for administration and finance at Baruch College in New York and Anthony Ferrara, vice president for administration at the state university of New York-Binghamton.

Ickes noted the difficulties of the position, saying a great deal of responsibility falls to vice presidents at CSU, due to the administration's "lean" staff. He also said CSU's financial difficulties make the position of vice president for administrative services a challenging job.

"We have continuing, ongoing issues with our finances," Ickes said. "I do believe some of these issues we have in Colorado are shared (with other states) but some are not."

In an interview with the Collegian this summer, Bomotti discussed reasons for resigning and mentioned challenges of his position.

"It wasn't the main reason or anything, but certainly I'm the finance guy here," Bomotti said, when asked if CSU's financial situation affected his decision. "My belief is that things might get worse in higher education in Colorado financially but they'll get better then, too."

Bomotti said state finances would continue to be a difficulty for administrators at CSU in the coming years and said the changes in funding for higher education could cause "some headaches," but predicted CSU and its' administrative staff would weather the financial storm.

"…As past presidents have indicated of CSU, the people here have always been resilient, they've always been able to take adversity and turn it into advantage," Bomotti said.