Authors: Laura Epple

Vital Stats

Name: Sara Ruthanne Hunter

Position: Guard

Height: 5'6"

Year: Freshman

Crazy Fact: one of five kids in her family

Filling the vacancy in the Rams' backcourt, freshman guard Sara Hunter has made her mark on the team as the newest 3-point threat. She appears to be determined, but focused, motivated, but calm. Off the court, it is a whole different story.

"On a (motor)cycle, the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming."

These lines are pulled from the pages of one of the young phenomenon's favorite pieces of literature, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." It is no wonder that a book infused with this philosophical nature appeals to Hunter. She lives in "the scene," and transcended the "watching" phase of life long before she set foot in Moby Arena.

Yet Hunter describes herself in an extremely down-to-earth light. "I'm just about as average as they come, I would say," Hunter said. "I like to keep things simple."

This simplicity does extend through some facets of her life. She does not believe in superstitions and has a very logical belief about the biggest perk to being a student-athlete.

"It is really fun because you get to play a sport you love while going to school for free," Hunter said.

Hunter likes the lackadaisical influence of any music by Jack Johnson or Dave Matthews and treasures a pair of old shorts that she has had forever as her favorite article of clothing.

When she has free time, Hunter likes to spend it outside, hiking around Horsetooth Reservoir, camping, reading and swimming. She said that she would like to be able to swim underwater without ever coming up for air if she could have a special superpower, and she has found a new love for water skiing. But like any sport, practice makes perfect.

"It kind of hurts if you biff it," Hunter said.

Hunter does not really desire to drive the latest Bond car or some new piece of technologically advanced metal.

"I'm not a very good driver, so I'm not picky," Hunter said.

However, this is where the simplicity stops. Hunter has had a way of complicating things for opponents on the court since her days as a Lobo for Rocky Mountain High School.

This hometown star lettered and was an all-conference selection in both basketball and volleyball all four years of her high school career. She was captain of the basketball team for three of those years and Northern Conference Player of the Year twice in basketball and once in volleyball. Hunter was also an All-Colorado basketball and volleyball selection in 2004, attained All-State honors in basketball twice and was a nominee for the USA Junior Olympics team.

She has continued to perplex rivals as a Ram this year by averaging 6.2 points per game and drilling 27 three-pointers so far. She is on track to cash 37 3-pointers, ranking her fourth highest among CSU freshmen.

Hunter is second on the team in both assists and 3-pointers behind senior guard Vanessa Espinoza and has already started in 10 games, more than any freshman since Ashley Augsperger and Lisa Narkiewicz in 1999-2000.

Staying in Fort Collins to pursue her college education, Hunter feels blessed.

"I have a unique opportunity to play in front of my family and friends. I'm lucky, I guess. Any pressure I feel is more from myself," she said.

Hunter has also selected a complex career path full of challenges. Although she doesn't know for sure what she will do, her ideal goal is to become a triathlete. This professional path is once again in step with thoughts from her favorite book.

"That concrete whizzing by five inches below your foot is the real thing. The same stuff you walk on, it's right there, so blurred you can't focus on it, yet you can put your foot down and touch it at anytime, and the whole thing, the whole experience, is never removed from immediate consciousness," the book states.