ASCSU makes a difference

Authors: Jason Huitt

Greetings again from YOUR student government, the Associated Students of CSU! Two weeks ago we introduced you to ASCSU and some of the services we provide to all CSU students. Today we'd like to report to you on some of our accomplishments so far this year and give you a status update on some projects that President Katie Clausen and Vice President Ben Goldstein had on their platform when you elected them last spring.

One of ASCSU's most visible and beneficial programs is RamRide. In case you haven't heard, RamRide is our non-judgmental, safe-ride program that to date has given more than 11,000 students safe rides home. The program is now in its fourth semester of operation, and we feel that this is one of the best ways that we are giving back to the student body and the community. Last spring we promised that we would work to expand and enhance RamRide, and as of Jan. 20 we came through on this promise by expanding RamRide to operate five cars on Thursday nights.

We have also expanded to 13 cars on Friday and Saturday nights, and when we have enough volunteers to drive each car we've been able to reduce wait times to less than an hour. However, we are still suffering from a lack of volunteers on Friday and Saturday nights, so if you are interested in helping us out, please apply to volunteer at RamRide.ColoState.edu.

Another major project that we told you about last spring was the creation of a designated student seating section at Moby Arena. Over the summer, President Clausen met with the athletic department to work out a seating plan that accommodated the needs of athletics, season-ticket holders, alumni and students. We are proud to report to you that our efforts were successful, and the student body now has a dedicated student-seating section with 1,200 seats covering 40 percent of the lower bowl in Moby Arena.

One other program that we created this year is our Denver International Airport Shuttle Service during fall, winter and spring breaks. Our director of student services, Luke Brunner, has worked with Shamrock Shuttle Service to negotiate a discounted rate for CSU students to take a shuttle from Fort Collins to DIA.

These shuttles run to Denver 18 times each day over break. We offered 175 discounted passes before fall break, and 225 passes over winter break, and each time we ran out of passes several days before the break began. Having served 400 students, we are proud that this service is helping students get home safely for the holidays. This is just one more promise that has been fulfilled.

Every day, ASCSU is striving to meet your needs and exceed your expectations. The executive branch of ASCSU writes a weekly cabinet report that details the status of projects we are working on and goals that we have accomplished during the week. We post these reports to our Web site each Wednesday, and if you are interested in checking them out, head over to www.ASCSU.ColoState.edu/Cabinet.

That's all for this week. We'll be back again in two weeks with a status report about some major projects we are working on this semester. As always, please feel free to stop by our office on the south side of the Lory Student Center to let us know what issues you want to see addressed. We are ready and willing to help you out, and we're here to listen to your needs. Thanks again for reading – see you in two weeks!

Jason Huitt, ASCSU's director of information technology, is a fifth-year senior majoring in computer information systems. Columns from ASCSU members will run intermittently throughout the semester.