Authors: Justin Shaw

The CSU swimming and diving team was home against Wyoming Friday for a Mountain West Conference showdown at the Moby Arena pool. Both teams entered the dual meet on losing streaks and looked to improve their conference records.

The Cowgirls came out strong by winning 7-of-11 swimming events for the day and taking a commanding lead. The Rams simply couldn't overcome the Cowgirls' powerful attack at the pool, dropping their third-straight conference contest 124-100.

The Rams had first-place finishes in four of the 11 swimming events during the meet. Junior Taylor Felton led the way with top times of 10:44.67 in the 1000-yard freestyle and 5:15.20 in the 500-yard freestyle. Junior Elizabeth Jones also won in the 50-yard freestyle (24.78) and freshman Amy Abrams won in the 100-yard backstroke (58.92).

The Rams also had nine second-place finishes in their attempt to overtake the Cowgirls. Sophomore Chandra Engs (200-yard freestyle), freshman Abi Iler (200-yard individual medly), freshman Celes Parks (1000-yard freestyle), Jones (100-yard freestyle), junior Jennifer Banker (100-yard backstroke), freshman Elyse Hall (three-meter diving) and junior Alyson Aggers (100-yard breaststroke) all had an individual second-place finish during the meet.

DU gets first victory against CSU

The Rams faced a tough challenge just a day after dropping their third-straight meet when they traveled to the state Capitol to face off with the Denver Pioneers on Saturday. However, instead of the Rams celebrating the end of a three-meet losing streak, the Pioneers celebrated their first-ever swimming and diving victory over CSU.

The Pioneers took first in 13-of-14 events and took it to the Rams with a score of 169-129. CSU senior Lyndsey McCaslin earned a first-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke. CSU's Hall earned the team's only diving first-place finish by scoring 235.00. Felton placed second in both the 500-yard freestyle and third in the 1000-yard freestyle. Engs placed second in the 200-yard individual medley and the 200-yard freestyle and finished third in the 100-yard freestyle. The team of Amy Abrams, McCaslin, junior Rachel Kula and Jones placed second in 400-yard medley relay.

The Rams will now be preparing for the Mountain Conference Championship Feb. 23-26 in Oklahoma City.