Authors: Paul Baker

New Mexico 55, Colorado State 47

New Mexico 22 33 55

Colorado State 19 28 47

New Mexico – Chiotti 2, 4-5, 8; Granger 3, 4-5, 11; DeVries 1, 0-2, 3; Walters 1, 0-0, 2; Hart 2, 0-0, 5; Osby 1, 0-0, 2; Wall 3, 4-4, 12; Neale 3, 2-2, 10; Harden 0, 0-0, 0; Danridge 1, 0-0, 2; Phaler 0, 0-0, 0. Totals 17, 14-18, 55.

Colorado State

Creason 1, 0-0, 2; Nelson 6, 4-4, 16; S. Morris 5, 0-0, 15; Patterson 0, 0-0, 0; M. Morris 2, 3-3, 8; Ball 0, 0-0, 0; Rakiecki 0, 0-0, 0; Thomasson 2, 0-0, 4; Verwers 1, 0-0, 2. Totals 17, 7-8, 47.

Rebounds – New Mexico 38 (Granger 10); Colorado State 43 (S. Morris 9); 3-point baskets – New Mexico 7 (Wall, Neale 2); Colorado State 6 (S. Morris 5)

A – 4434 

For the second game in a row, the men's basketball team shot less than 30 percent from the field and lost the game in the closing minutes.

In a low-scoring affair, the Rams pulled within three points with one minute and 43 seconds left in the game, only to come up empty on their last four possessions to lose to the New Mexico Lobos 47-55.

In the first half, both the Rams and the Lobos had trouble getting their offenses started. At one point during the half the Rams didn't score on eight consecutive possessions and the Lobos didn't score on 10 possessions. With the inconsistent offensive play, the score only stood at 22-19 at halftime, in favor of the Lobos.

"The intensity was great on both ends of the floor, we just weren't consistent tonight," said head coach Dale Layer.

As the second half started, the Rams looked as if they were going to fall into another second-half collapse, as they were outscored 7-3 in the first five minutes of the second half. But behind the post play of senior Matt Nelson, who had 16 points and eight rebounds on the night, got them back in the game.

As the second half wore on, the Rams saw a deficit grow as large as 10 points. Freshman guard Sean Morris didn't let that last for long, however, as he drained 3-point baskets to bring them back within striking distance.

Morris was 5-of-9 from 3-point range, scoring 15 points and grabbing nine rebounds in the loss.

"There's a wall that we can't break down. If we find a way to get around it, we got it," said CSU center Stuart Creason on why it is hard for the team to finish games.

This is the second conference game that could have been won in the game's closing minutes.

"Sean played great for us tonight. He had some great offensive looks in which he converted on," said head coach Dale Layer.

In Saturday's game, freshman Jason Smith sat out because a pulled hamstring. That added to an already full injured-list that includes senior Matt Williams and Freddie Robinson.

"We have a lot of points and firepower sitting on the bench right now. It's real tough right now," Layer said.

The Rams drop to 9-11 on the season, 1-6 in conference, while the Lobos are now 17-5, 4-3 in conference. The Rams now look forward to tonight at 10 p.m. when they play Air Force on ESPN's Big Monday.

"It's going to be tough to put this loss behind us," Morris said. "We're going to play our best against Air Force to win."