Authors: Jon Pilsner

LARAMIE, Wyo. – 6-of-29. 20 percent.

That's what the CSU trio of 7-footers, Matt Nelson, Stuart Creason and Jason Smith, shot Saturday against the Wyoming Cowboys in a 69-56 defeat.

For all three, it was a frustrating day filled with fouls and missed baskets. Smith fouled out, and Nelson and Creason ended with four fouls. Often, because of the foul trouble, CSU had to play without its size advantage.

"They defended them pretty well," said CSU coach Dale Layer. "Our guys couldn't get a rhythm going."

Even when the Rams got good looks at the basket, the shots didn't fall.

"I thought I went through the motions," the senior Nelson said. "It felt good when I threw it up, it just didn't go down."

Freshmen Smith and Creason also had little luck shooting. Smith was visibly frustrated on the court after missing shots and committing fouls.

"Jason has to understand to slow down and let the game come to him," said junior guard Micheal Morris, who finished with eight points. "He just has to calm down sometimes."

The physical play of the Wyoming defense also led to eight total blocks by the Cowboys. Smith had three offensive rebounds, but only four points. Creason ended with six points.

"It was a little frustrating," Nelson said. "They played good defense in the post."

All three, however, seemed to have a combined off night.

"Maybe we got lucky a little bit," said Wyoming coach Steve McClain. "Smith didn't shoot as well as he has. They're good players."