To the Editor:

Blinding ignorance is the only way to describe the statements made by David Roy in reference to the "three-unrelated law." Roy states that in order to increase the quality of life here in Fort Collins we should ignore economic studies due to their "harmful nature." To me this is absolute lunacy.

For a city council member to make decisions while completely ignoring an entire field of study, as well as all related aspects to said field, is completely reckless and shows disregard for the citizens of Fort Collins. Roy also states that "our neighborhoods are under siege" in a statement describing college students in Fort Collins.

It is my belief that this type of language is completely inappropriate for a member of the city council who is supposed to represent his constituents.

Furthermore, the term "siege" implies that college students are outsiders and not members of the community. It is this type of degrading language that promotes discriminatory stereotypes, which is hardly suitable for a sitting member of a committee entitled "Human Relations Commission," which was put in place (according to their Web site) "by City Council to promote the acceptance and respect for diversity through educational programs and activities, and to discourage all forms of discrimination based on race, religion, age, gender, disability, etc."

In conclusion I find the statements made by David Roy to be destructive not only to college students' reputations, but to the communities formed by all of the residents of Ft. Collins.

Michael Klein

Senior, Economics

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is a response to Brittany Holland's letter to the editor, "You have four more years to listen to us." Factions are the main problem with American politics. We supported Candidate X, Candidate Y won; therefore we will use our constitutionally granted rights to whine about it as much as we want. And darn it, we're going to be difficult too! We'll make life as miserable as we can for those around us, because we didn't win.

What happened to graceful losing? Politely shaking the hand of our opponent at the end of each game. Have we, as a society, devolved into a pack of toddlers?

No. Sen. John Kerry's concession of the presidential election proves that chivalry is not dead in America, nay; it is not dead in politics. But it seems to be non-existent on a grassroots level. We wear t-shirts that read, "It takes a Kerry to raze a village," or panties imprinted "The only Bush I trust is my own." Why can't we be courteous too?

We (the GOP) aren't telling you to roll over and die until the 2008 campaign season begins. Nor are we telling you to shove a tennis ball in your mouth whenever we win an election. We're asking you to stop complaining about a situation that is out of your control, to pick the battles that are still being fought.

The election is over. It's February; move onto to next fight.

Katherine Brownell

College Republicans

Junior, Equine Science and History

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing in regard to the unfortunate death of David Karspeck over fall break. I have looked to the Collegian for follow-ups, and as a former lifeguard and pool director, I am amazed that the potential negligence of the aquatics department at the Student Recreation Center has not been addressed.

From the information provided, I do believe that this death was an unnecessary one. The fact that a fellow swimmer pulled Karspeck from the bottom of the pool is a huge indication that a significant amount of time had elapsed from when he slipped from the surface to when he was retrieved.

Lifeguards are trained not only to rescue people who fall from surface-view, but also (in the case of lap swimmers) to pay attention to individual changes in speed, form, rhythm, etc., and to remove them from the pool if they seem ill. If Karspeck did indeed have a heart attack, his swimming speed and form almost certainly would have changed drastically in the moments before his drowning began.

Those in charge of, or working at, an aquatic facility cannot prevent all accidents. They do, however, owe their patrons the basic fulfillment of their duties. What little I do know about the situation leads me to the conclusion that this was not done in the case of Karspeck, and we should not only be saddened at his passing, but outraged as well.

Miriam Loeffler

Botany Graduate Student

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Vincent Adams' column, "Liberal rights needed to overthrow conservatism," simply goes to show that his views are completely skewed. I was under the impression that liberals want to promote peace at home and abroad. If this is the case, why is Vincent practically calling for a literal war on conservatives?

Conservatives, like liberals, want peace around the globe. They have a different way of reaching that goal, and Vincent should realize that aggravating those whose ideologies differ (and labeling them "enemies") is only going to further the hatred within our nation. His article shows just how childish and narrow-minded his personal ideologies are. "Destroy the right" is not a valid way of promoting peace.

Josh Phillips

Junior, Math Education major

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I would like to correct some untruths concerning the Bible from a letter written by Andrew M. Darrow. You do not have the original transcripts of the Bible and neither do I, but homosexuality is definitely mentioned in them. The King James New Testament was translated from the Textus Receptus and the Old Testament was translated from the Masoretic Text. What they say in those documents it says in English.

The Bible says that an act of homosexuality is an abomination (Leviticus 18:22). Abomination is the strongest word for something that is disgusting. GOD called their affections vile (Romans 1:24-27); meaning homosexuality makes GOD sick, and it says that homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of GOD (1 Corinthians 6:9). Rome was like many college campuses. Homosexuality, drunkenness, gluttony, adultery and many other sins occurred as if it they were acceptable. Homosexuality is listed with some of the worst sins, saying they are contrary to sound doctrine (I Timothy 1:9-10).

The sin of homosexuality was present in Sodom. In fact the word sodomite refers to homosexuals (Genesis 13:13). So why is the name of the city used to describe homosexuals? The Bible shows their sin of homosexuality was wicked. Some try to say that it was the sin of inhospitality, but that is not true (Genesis 19:4-5). The key is the phrase "know them." Adam knew his wife and they had a baby (Genesis 4:1). This was not extreme inhospitality. The men of Sodom wanted to have gay sex.

Darren Morrison

Pastoral Student

Platteville Baptist Church