Authors: Nick Piburn

Big hits and rough play are both a part of hockey, and they're definitely a part of CSU hockey.

But now, for the second time this season, the Rams' biggest hitter and roughest player has been suspended. Freshman defenseman Chris Hau received a two-game suspension for an elbow he threw in Saturday's game at Colorado.

Hau received a five-minute game misconduct for the penalty, which automatically results in a player suspension; the length was unknown until early this week.

"The league commissioner called coach and confirmed the suspension," said club president Jordan Stover. "We thought it would be two games, but we were worried it could be more."

Hau will miss Saturday's match-up with San Jose State at the IKON Center in Cheyenne, Wyo., as well as Wednesday's game at the Edora Pool and Ice Center against Eastern Washington.

"Hockey's a physical game. Some of the refs need to understand that," said Hau when asked what he thought about the call. "A two-minute penalty would have been fine, but the five-minute misconduct and the suspension is ridiculous."

If the Rams want to continue to hold the top seat in the west they will need to continue to dominate until nationals.

Men's Volleyball Starts Up

From a team that's flying to a team that's climbing. The men's volleyball team started the season in a rough spot. The team was cut a few years ago and now, starting the program up again has not been smooth.

"We didn't have the easiest start," said club president Lee Merritt. "We had to start over from scratch, we're very limited right now."

Competing in the U.S. Volleyball Association's Division III, the team has started slow with a 5-14 record in games. The USVA tallies records based on games instead of the traditional method of playing a best-of-three game match and the outcome results in either one win or one loss for the teams.

Of late though, the team has been very competitive. In a tournament at CU on Jan. 16 the team finished third in Division III, going 4-6 in the tournament. The team will look to keep improving Sunday in Denver. The Rams will be competing in Division-II in this tournament, because of a lack of entries in Division III.

"If we do well in this tournament, we have a chance of moving up to Division-II permanently," Merritt said.

The men's volleyball team will also be having an informational meeting for new players at 7 p.m. Feb. 2 upstairs in the Student Recreation Center. The team is trying to add four or five more players and possibly have an A and B team.